Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

transmission sprocket mystery? sprocket wearing into side of case?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012 | 02:10 PM
chevdude
|
Road Captain
Default transmission sprocket mystery? sprocket wearing into side of case?

03 FXDWG

Heard a bed squeaking noise like rusty springs from the primary so I tore it down to the trans sprocket. The IPB looks fine. Found a bunch of non magnetic metal debree on the sprocket and around the sprocket nut. Also the area is soaked with oil. I believe It's made its way from the case somehow. I'm still locating the sprocket socket.

Any ideas what I'm in for?

Old 06-14-2012 | 01:57 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned

Not good, once you get the sprocket off measure a couple of spots. First you should have .660 " of splines of the main drive gear showing from the sprocket spacer to the end of the splines. You should also have about.232" of sprocket spacer showing outside of the main seal. If you have less the lip on your case holding the main bearing may have broke and allowed the main drive gear to walk in. I really see no other reason why the sprocket would be contacting the case. Then again I'm not perfect so let us know what you find.

Old 06-14-2012 | 05:42 PM
chevdude
|
Road Captain

Thanks a bunch Mark! I pulled the sprocket last night and things are a little better then I thought. When I get home from work I'll post on the findings.

Old 06-15-2012 | 12:03 AM
chevdude
|
Road Captain

Okay this is what I found. Both the IPB and mainshaft bearings look and feel great.

I measured .697 and .190

Both primary and trans fluid was clean with no signs of metal.

The sprocket nut was loose and came off with my hand. One of the bolts from the lock plate had sheard.

I also looked at another Dyna sprocket and noticed the sprocket is within a few thou of the case. Exactly like mine. So I'm thinking everything is okay.

My guess is that the sprocket nut came loose and the sprocket had wobbled ever so slightly and contacted the case. All splines look good. So I am going to reasemble everything with new seals and gaskets and call it good.

The only mystery is that I had a considerable amount of metal debris around the sprocket nut, and back side of inner primary. Also on side of trans case within a 4" radius of mainshaft. I couldn't identify any missing componant in the service manual. That's kind of bugging me a bit.