Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Burnt Smell in the Primary

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Nomadic RAM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Burnt Smell in the Primary

I didn't check the oil level before I drained it, but there were no indications of a leak anywhere around the primary.

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

Electrical components really stink when they burn,dont know if thats the problem.
Was the the oil level low when changed out?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:41 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nomadic RAM

How do I determine if its the stator? If it is a burnt stator anybody know if that would be covered under warranty??

ORIGINAL: sns

Burnt Stator, They really stink when they toast!!!
Are you still within 2 years of purchasing yor bike? If so call the dealer and tell them your stator is burning and stinks.........maybe they will replace it.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:01 PM
corey
Novice

If the smell is in fact a burned out stator assembly that is covered under the motor company's factory warranty. If it's the clutch that is burned out that will not be covered under the warranty as that is a "wear" item.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Nomadic RAM
Intermediate

A thousand miles later and the bike's still running great. No electrical glitches and the clutch is still working as always. No idea what might have caused the burnt smell. Two more months on warranty before whatever happens it will come out of my pocket. Planning a March ride from Yuma, AZ to South Dakota and back. 2000 miles to give it a good test.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:14 PM
corey
Novice

Well i hope all works out on your 2000 mile trip. If anything were to happen after your warranty expires most dealerships have what they call "coop" which stands for "certified out of policy"
this means that dealers with coop capability are able to certify and approve reasonable warranty claims within 2years of yourfactory warranty. Now not all dealers are capable of this policy adjustment but in te event that anything happens i would ask your dealer's service manager about this. good riding and have a safe trip.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 AM
RoadKingon
Advanced

based on the riding comments -- I'd say burn't clutch. The parade and slow riding slipping clutches cause BIG heat to the plates and clutch. Remember, although there are several discs there are really one or two that take most of the friction.

The first time I heard about that riding technique (years ago) I cringed at what is happening to the clutch.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:00 PM
RoadKingon
Advanced

what to do? get a set of used or new clutch friction plates, soak them in trans fluid a few days, get a small tupperware container and take the clutches (continue the soaking in the box), fluid, and tools to change them with you. Peace of mind. Backup plan.

BTW: I always thought burnt clutches smelled like burnt pizza. Is that the odor?

Old 03-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Nomadic RAM
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: RoadKingon

BTW: I always thought burnt clutches smelled like burnt pizza. Is that the odor?
No I can tolerate the smell of burnt pizza. This was an awful smell! Like something had crawled into the primary and died.
Since I first posted about the smell in my primary I've put another 5000+ miles on the bike and changed the primary oil twice. No further odors and the clutch and primary are still going strong. My guess is that I overheated the clutch trying to "Ride Like a Pro."

Old 03-30-2007, 03:12 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i bet it is the primary chain tensioner shoe thats burnin...bet you'll find some heavy wear marks on the bottom of it...plates are easy to change, no need to soak em for days, just about 10 mins is fine...try a Barnett 10 disk set...but the smell is gonna probly be the shoe...the color is normal for that many miles with clutch dust mixed in....just my take anyway