Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Starter kicks in, will not turn engine, but there's more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Starter kicks in, will not turn engine, but there's more.

I was riding yesterday when I started hearing a knocking sound. I stopped the bike, oil pressure was good, but I wanted to make sure there was actually enough oil, etc. Oil level checked good, I went to take the bike home (20 miles) bike rode good, but knocking would not go away. At a couple of stop lights I noticed it was almost impossible to put the bike in neutral, I got the bike home, and tried using the long screw driver to ear method to see if I could tell where the noise is coming from, I checked both left and right, all four rod covers, the heads etc, but couldn't seem to pin point it, but the sound was still there. Fast foward to this am. I figure the bike is cool, I'll check it out, then probably take it to the shop (Indy) to see what they think. I start the bike up, noise is still there, I shut the bike off to go get breakfast before I leave, come back out and go to start the bike, the starter engages, but will not turn the engine. The battery has plenty of power, when I go to start it, there is a clunk and it just will not move, you would almost think it's a seized engine which is definetly not the case. BTW even with the engine off and cool, neutral is still hard to find, I put the bike in 6th and pushed it back and forth in the garage, so the engine is not seized, and I don't believe the starter is bad, could this be a bad compensator? BTW I just had the SE compensator installed about 2500 miles ago. Any ideas or thoughts before I take it in on Tue would be appreciated.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I guess nobody who has viewed has a clue, but that's ok, it just got ugly, I decided to pull the plugs and the rear one shows me my problems are a lot deeper than I first thought, the bike will be coming apart later this week, I'll do an update just in case there is any intrest.