Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Who's Using Race-less Inner Primary Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 AM
bgh4hrlyd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seal doesn't come with bearing I bought, thus I used the retaining compound. I also took another look at the bearing, its not working properly. There's a tight spot, and a krinkle in seal on inside primary side. I've ordered another bearing, asked about seal at HD dealer. It's a sealed bearing was their answer. This is 1985 rotary top (cowpie) tranny. The sleeve is gone, so you're right, the old outside seal is to small. Where can I get the seal you refer to? Part # etc? I thought about an o ring on the shaft at the bearing, but nothing to hold it in place. Where do you install the seal you mention? I've not seen the seal, so I'm asking?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bgh4hrlyd
The seal doesn't come with bearing I bought, thus I used the retaining compound. I also took another look at the bearing, its not working properly. There's a tight spot, and a krinkle in seal on inside primary side. I've ordered another bearing, asked about seal at HD dealer. It's a sealed bearing was their answer. This is 1985 rotary top (cowpie) tranny. The sleeve is gone, so you're right, the old outside seal is to small. Where can I get the seal you refer to? Part # etc? I thought about an o ring on the shaft at the bearing, but nothing to hold it in place. Where do you install the seal you mention? I've not seen the seal, so I'm asking?
That seal is a TTO E2142 (DC-25-52) twin-lip/twin-spring elastomer-in-metal-frame seal. I don't know of any place you could buy that seal in other than large (shop) lots. Probably the best way to get it is to simply purchase a new All ***** or Baker High Torque bearing upgrade that will include the seal. I paid only $18 for my All ***** bearing+seal+retaining clip set. The seal alone would probably cost that much.

But I'm not familiar with your tranny so I would suggest you mike your shaft surface first to make sure it is likely to seal up the shaft. I miked the seal prior to install (to make sure it would work!) and the i.d. of the TTO seal is 0.973". The o.d. of that seal miked at 2.05" and width 0.310".

The seal presses into the inner primary case just like the OEM seal did and in same location. Just outboard of the retaining clip that holds the upgrade bearing in place. I went with the All *****, and it is wider than the Baker so I only had one retaining clip which is outboard of the bearing. Bearing is pressed against the clip from inboard.

Best o luck!

Last edited by M&P340; 04-16-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Bgh4 our one piece bearing is for 1985-2007 5 and 6 speeds.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 PM
bgh4hrlyd
Advanced

Yes, I was concerned that the bearing would still seep oil between the shaft and the bearing. The primary vents throught the transmission mainshaft, so there shouldnt be any pressure in there, but I know how my luck goes sometimes. After more studying, and closer scrutiny of the bearing I had installed, the bearing had a problem. It was kinked, and would catch when you tried to roll it, so, into the trash it went. Im going to try it once more, but, Im going to remove the inside the primary seal, thus the bearing wont dry out, just a personal thing, I dont recommend anyone do that. Also, Im going to put a 25X52X7 metric double lip seal seal back in the primary. This will seal the mainshaft since the race is gone with the new upgraded bearing. Baker has this kit, but, the local dealer only sells the bearing, as well as JP Cycles when buying the bearing, just ordered the seal a few minutes ago, had the bearing pressed in by the HD dealer today, and started to put the primary on, but just couldnt bring myself to do it without some sort of seal. Got my fingers crossed.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 PM
bgh4hrlyd
Advanced
Default sealed bearing

the old style bearing I think for my bike is OEM 9135. Harley has a sealed bearing replacement as well as JP CYCLES for that OEM Number. The Baker bearing may not fit, but there is a replacement for the original bearing and race for the 85 fxwg.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 PM
cmzx9r
Advanced

I put the Baker bearing/seal on my 06 Ultra. 10,000 miles later have had no problems. Highly recomend this part.