Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Frequency of changing tranny fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:44 PM
DAWG_6
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Frequency of changing tranny fluid...

I switched (from Syn3) to Redline Shockproof Heavy Gear Oil a couple of months ago. How many miles are you all who use a heavy tranny fluid changing it out?? I've heard comments about a year....I ride quite a bit....every 5,000 seems like too often....but if I'm not mistaken, that's what the manual calls for. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:18 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Default RE: Frequency of changing tranny fluid...

Per note from RedLine to me, they said 10,000 miles, but I change at 5,000 miles. Cheap insurance.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:29 AM
DAWG_6
Road Captain

What's up with some guys saying 'once per year'....are they just riding about 10 thou a year??

Old 12-22-2006, 07:16 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

From the conversations I've had with other riders from my area, most ride from 5000 to 10000 miles per years. If I could ride all year at my usual riding schedule, I'd ride about 9000 miles (but I live in SE MI, so only get about 9 months to ride). So the 'once per year' is about right. RedLine is about $10 per quart, so a change at about 5000 miles shouldn't break the bank. But RedLine told me that 10000 miles is fine and to change before you put your bike to bed for the winter (which is one per year and probably less than 10000 miles). Hope that helps.

The important matter here, to me at least, is that RedLine ShockProof Heavy has very significantly quieted the shiftsm made them smoother, and results in far less debris on the drain plug magnet. The lube 'sticks' to gears, even when hot.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:20 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I use Mobil 1 75W-90 in the tranny, and though it's probably overkill I've gotten in the habit of changing it out every 5,000 or so miles.

Only costs a few dollars, so I just consider it cheap insurance.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:24 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: DAWG_6

I switched (from Syn3) to Redline Shockproof Heavy Gear Oil a couple of months ago. How many miles are you all who use a heavy tranny fluid changing it out?? I've heard comments about a year....I ride quite a bit....every 5,000 seems like too often....but if I'm not mistaken, that's what the manual calls for. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
If the manual calls for every 5,000 why would you think that's too much?

If you are going to rewrite service recommendations to suit yourself, go less, not more.

Regards,

Bill

Old 12-22-2006, 01:29 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

ORIGINAL: DAWG_6

If the manual calls for every 5,000 why would you think that's too much?

If you are going to rewrite service recommendations to suit yourself, go less, not more.

Regards,

Bill
I agree here, and besides , it's a QUART of oil, not something you would have to take a loan out for. I have allways changed the trans when I do the engine oil at 2500 miles with a filter, excessive?....you bet, but for a quart of oil and the chances of overlooking the trans change because you thought you did it at a certain mileage is not worth the savingsI realize there is no combustion products involved in the transmission, but I can't do any harm by doing it too often either[:-]JMHO
How much are you really saving by stretching the change interval?? Remember what you paid for that bike!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:35 PM
glide
Road Warrior

[

Old 12-22-2006, 01:36 PM
glide
Road Warrior

[

Old 12-22-2006, 01:39 PM
glide
Road Warrior

Don't know why it posted 4 times

Quick Reply: Frequency of changing tranny fluid...