Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

main shaft seal leak 98 heritage softail classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011 | 10:36 PM
coorsbig8balls
|
Novice
Question main shaft seal leak 98 heritage softail classic

I just tore down my 98 heritage softail classic after finding a leak from the main shaft seal. i actually removed the tranny from the bike, could anyone help me with a list of the seals i need to get in order to put it back together... i saw a kit on jpcycles geniune james makes but i dont know if i need any more seals than whats in the kit.

Old 12-27-2011 | 08:35 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

You will find that it is much easier to work on the transmission if it is still bolted into the frame.

Here are the seals you should replace (about 40 bucks from the dealer):

Shifter Shaft Seal (many prefer the Cometic brand double lipped seal)

Main Drive Gear Seal (the big oil seal)

Pulley Spacer

Quad Seal (goes under the spacer)

Starter Jackshaft Seal (inner primary cover)

Mainshaft Bearing Seal (inner primary cover)

Main Drive Gear/Mainshaft Seal (goes into the end of the main drive gear and seals the space between the main drive gear and the mainshaft).

In addition (while you`re in there...) you might consider pulling the gearset out of the case and replacing the two springs on the shifter shaft/pawl.

The big spring is known to fail. Buy extra snap rings, they are tiny and have a habit of disappearing .

Also, be sure to use new lock bolts on the pulley nut lockplate.

Old 12-27-2011 | 10:19 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

Dan89 has it covered. The only thing I would add would be to check the inner primary bearing/seal and race. Since you are in this deep, I would probably replace the inner primary bearing, seal and race; the parts are cheap and you already have it torn apart.

Old 12-29-2011 | 11:48 AM
coorsbig8balls
|
Novice

thanks for all the information... i replaced pretty much every gasket on the transmission without actually taking the gear set out.. and yes you are totally correct i should have left the tranny in.. i bought the geniune james gasket kit to finish off the rest of the gaskets.. but before i put it back together i want to buy a new belt i figure since im in there i might as well replace it... now i was told by a buddy when putting the tranny back in to bolt the primary case to the engine first and then slowly suck in the bolts on the tranny and tighten them back and forth one at a time so it doesnt crack the case... any insights on that?