Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Open Primary Belt Drives

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 02:13 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Open Primary Belt Drives

HDWRENCH,

I see you're over in my neck of the woods, I'm in Yuma...would love to see a pic of this bike...perhaps we can get together for a cold one sometime...I'd be willing to make the treck to Phoenix...I love lookin' at bikes, and learning about bikes is always a plus.

Mac

Old 05-20-2006, 04:01 AM
helbnt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDWRENCH
THey have a much heavier clutch pull rate over the Primo. The BDL are not of the same caliber as the primo, they have several problems. The newest desing they offer is stock with a outer bearing support, as they are known for the clutch hub bearing going south.
I believe this clutch hub bearing is what I currently have going bad on mine. I've had a vibration problem for the last two weeks. It has gotten a little worse. I'd been checking everything on the bike to see if any motor mounts, etc. were loose. Tonight I pulled the cover off of the BDL drive, and found that the rear sprocket ( Where the clutch is, my terminology isn't good with these things, I think that's what it's called) is loose. I can move it from side to side. The belt is tracking to the outside on the rear, and it's vibrating the belt to where it's been rubbing on the drives cover. I think the belt is ok, but I'm sure something in there is going to have to be replace. The clutch itself feels solid in there, but that sprocket around it doesn't. I just had the damn clutch basket rebuilt 2500 miles ago. GRRR!

I assume it's a bearing? Hopefully it isn't horribly expensive.

BTW, I can put my kickstand down with my foot. No lost fingers here!

Old 05-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i run a BDL TF2000 on my chopper...they are simple...they wont grab your pants leg(or mine hasnt yet)...they have NO compensating nut and are harsh...you feel every hit of the motor...they are cool...they have less cornering clearance....they dont like gettin lugged, it kinda jerks on the bike and is not very smooth...you have to learn where youre motor likes to run to obtain the smoothest ride

IMO...theyre ok on the right bike

Old 05-24-2006, 11:29 PM
helbnt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

i run a BDL TF2000 on my chopper...they are simple...they wont grab your pants leg(or mine hasnt yet)...they have NO compensating nut and are harsh...you feel every hit of the motor...they are cool...they have less cornering clearance....they dont like gettin lugged, it kinda jerks on the bike and is not very smooth...you have to learn where youre motor likes to run to obtain the smoothest ride

IMO...theyre ok on the right bike
You hit the nail right on the head. You do feel the motor, and it feels good! I don't have much cornering clearance problems with mine. I have a solid outer cover, but you can still see about 2 3/4" of the belt. The cover just covers up the pulleys so you don't get wrapped up in there. And yes, they sure don't like getting lugged. I noticed that about mine. If I'm riding with the fellas in the hills around here, I bitch at them to keep their speed at a constant. Anything less than 62 for me and I have to go down into 4th. Mine runs like a top at 2500+ rpms.

She's in the shop as of today, getting new plugs, choke cable, hub bearing in the clutch basket, and a tranny checkup. I could/should probably do some of this stuff myself but I like the guys at the powersports shop here so I give them the business. They treat me right.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:57 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The main advantage is you'll never again have a primary fluid leak that you can't find the source of.