Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary Chain Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:20 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Primary Chain Adjustment

I was trying to adjust the primary chain this morning. I printed out the chain tool that is shown in the tech section and will fabricate that. But, what is the easiest way to move the chain tensioner to the correct position. When I loosed the nut, the tensioner dropped and I had to use pliers to raise it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:30 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Primary Chain Adjustment

You only need to loosen the adjustment nut a turn or two, just enough to be able to move the adjuster and no more, then by rocking the adjuster you can move it one serration or more. If in doubt try loosening it a turn or two and keep the ratchet on it and loosen it a bit more just to move the adjuster, then check the chain.

I found with the adjuster that I posted in there, that you may have to adjust the chain in the old way first with the square opening like on the road kings , then put the scribe marks on the tool after you insert it into the chain case and raise up the chain. Then put a mark on the tool and scribe it for future use. The scribe will be in different places on softails and rubber mounts.

Glad you found it usefull, let me know how it works out for you.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:53 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Do you rock the adjuster with a pair of pliers or with your fingers? Sorry, too many questions, but this thing kicked my butt this morning.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:57 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Fingers, only losen it up slowly so it only moves the amount you want otherwise it will drop to the bottom, then you have to loosen it up more to raise it up. It has a serration on the back so it doesn't move till you get it loose enough to over ride the teeth.

Let me see if I can explain it a bit easier.

Loosen the adjustment nut only enough to move the tensioner in the direction you want to go, then snug it down and recheck the chain, if you need more repeat this again.You will usually only need to move it one "tooth" on the adjuster to be correct. Don't forget to retorque it again when you're done.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:10 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Thanks a bunch. I'll have the bike back on the lift tonight and give it a shot.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:53 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

oldgeezer,

Have you thought about using an automatic tensioner? A lot of people are using the Hayden M6 spring tension, I'm using the HB 125 hydraulic and I really like it, shifts smoother and chain noise is much quieter, either unit are an easy install for the most part.

John TN

Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

John, I saw the post on it in the tech section. I may give it a try. Thank, Pat

Old 07-21-2005, 07:37 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Hey , another member using the DIY section

Old 07-23-2005, 02:05 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm installing my Hayden M6 today! Hope it does what everyone says it will...

Mac

Old 08-22-2005, 11:14 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

I just got back from a two week 5000 mile ride from NY to Sturgis and back.

I bought some Mobil1 Vtwin, some HD primary oil and some HD trans Fluid (don't want to hurt the warranty otherwise I would have used Mobil1 75w90 gear oil as suggested in this forum).

I changed the oil and all the fluids without any problem but when I checked the primary it seemed a little loose. Like an idiot I loosened it and it fell to the bottom of the case. I managed to pull it up but apparently not enough since when I took it for a test ride I heard the primary slapping the case. I took the bike back in to the garage and after quite a bit of time I managed to get the tensioner up.

I took the bike for another test ride and the primary chain slap is gone. Can I assume the chain is close to spec?

What harm can I do if the chain is still too lose or too tight although if anything I think it may still be a little on the loose side?

I have a good mechanic down the road and I may bring it to him to let him check it but my ride to work is 60 mlles round trip. Can I ride to work tomorrow?

I did encounter one other problem. The socket fell off the extension into the case!!! Luckily I have one of those magnetic tipped antenna which allowed me to get the socket out. I then duct taped the socket to the extension!!!!!

Quick Reply: Primary Chain Adjustment