Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch adjustment problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Ken Coughenour
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch adjustment problems

Im trying to adjust the clutch on my 1999 Fatboy, but am running into problems. I followed the instructions in the "by the book" method and also the "clutch adjustment the easy way" posts in this forum. Both times I made the adjustment, I started the bike, pulled in the clutch lever and kicked it in gear and the bike creeps forward. So do I need to back the adjuster screw out more or do I need to screw it in more in order to get it correctly adjusted?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

It's somewhat normal to have a little creep when starting cold. You can try adjusting the cable a bit tighter so there is less "slop" at the lever. If that doesn't work go back and make sure the clutch adjustment is correct.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Ken Coughenour
Stage II

Thanks... Ill give that a shot!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:15 PM
funjeep
1st Gear

i had the same problem but all i did was loosen the clutch cable until there was alot of play then all i did we tightned it back up to when there was 1/8 inch of play and that was all now it works smoothly and i can find nuetral much better hope this helps

Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 PM
kcoughenour
Intermediate

Originally Posted by funjeep
i had the same problem but all i did was loosen the clutch cable until there was alot of play then all i did we tightned it back up to when there was 1/8 inch of play and that was all now it works smoothly and i can find nuetral much better hope this helps

Well I did get it straightened out... finding nuetral is still next to impossible tho! In fact, I have to kill the motor to get it to go in nuetral!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Did you back off the cable adjuster all the way before adjusting the clutch basket?

If not, the cable can influence the adjustment at the clutch and you may have unintended excessive free play at the clutch. If that is the case it will not hurt the clutch but can cause the issues you're having. Any adjustments you try at the clutch cable will not correct the condition if you have too much play at the clutch.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:10 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kcoughenour
Well I did get it straightened out... finding nuetral is still next to impossible tho! In fact, I have to kill the motor to get it to go in nuetral!
Is your primary chain adjusted to spec? Also the next time you change tranny oil put in a good synthetic gear lube if you haven't done it already.