Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Rear pully/sprocket broke !

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:13 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear pully/sprocket broke !

Guys

I have a 2009 Roadking with 16500 miles on it, just got back from a ride and noticed a funny noise coming from the rear end as I pulled into the drive.

Found that the inner raised lip on the rear drive belt pully has detached from the polly and is spinning around the centre of the wheel, which is the clatter I heard. No idea when it happened today but lucky the belt didnt come off the pully.

Anyone ever heard of this before. Going to drop the rear wheel tomorrow and see if I can see what has happened. I thought the rear pully was one castingI cant fix it thats about £230.00 for a new pully.

WB

Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Yours is not the first to do this! If you remove the pulley you will see that ring is a separate part, held on by a series of small indents. It is not meant to be separate and replacing is probably the best thing to do.

Check your wheel alignment, to ensure the belt is not pulling against that side of the pulley while going forwards.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 AM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should be able to press that ring back on and stake it in place. I've never done it but the graybeard who owns the shop where I work part time has said it's possible to press the ring off and machine the pulley, then replace the ring (for instance, if a narrower belt is being used on a wide pulley). It's only a guide, and should not have a lot of stress on it. I'd be checking pulley/wheel alignment. Does the '09 have the "cush drive"? Is it possible the pulley may not be running true on the wheel hub? I've never seen one of those cush drive setups apart, so I don't know what all that looks like; the earlier puleys that bolt solidly to the wheel are straightforward, but there must be some moving parts in the cush drive which maybe could fail.