Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Inner Primary Transmission Mainshaft Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM
DJ Baar
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Inner Primary Transmission Mainshaft Bearing?

Need help making sure I am repair the Inner Primary case correctly. Bike is a Custom ‘74 FXE. Engine is a 96" “Stroker” Shovel with S&S Sidewinder Kit and transmission is an S&S 5 Speed with chain secondary drive. Have gone through bike front to back and just rebuilt engine but concerned when I removed a single bearing (that was grinding) and nothing to center it and keep it there on main drive shaft going into Inner Primary (just behind clutch assembly).

I had to use Inner Primary Transmission Drive Shaft Bearing J&P part number 431-464 to fit Inner Primary Main Shaft and race. It press fit easily. (Bearing PN 431-464 fits '95 - '05 for 5 speed transmission and is 0.050 larger in diameter than J&P PN 601-050 for '74- '84 FXE with 4 speed transmission.)

My problem and concern is the space left with new bearing installed (and note this is all that was used before but wore-out last bearing!). Bearing leaves approximately 0.5" of space total (I centered bearing in race for approx 0.25" either side of bearing in race). I am concerned that under torque this is a problem because NOTHING to keep bearing centered in place and not put excessive pressure on keeping it from twisting? Attached to show what I am talking about better.

Bearing is sealed and does not require bearing seal (J&P PN 6200060) or does it to take-up the extra 1/2' left void by 11/16" bearing in race?
I have been told by J&P Techs, “The answer here is very, very simple. When installing the bearing (you may need to remove and re-install) use red Locktite around the outside race. Make sure it has plenty of time to cure, and you're done.”

OK, I buy the red locktite, but any recommendation on where to place in the bearing race? How far in from either inside or backside to sit where it is supposed to on transmission main shaft? Guess I can measure from taper on shaft to transmission case and center that?
I really need to get this right after all the work and $ spent fixing this ol’Scoot, thank you for any constructive assistance.

V/R
DJ Baar

Attached Thumbnails Inner Primary Transmission Mainshaft Bearing?-inner-primary-backside.jpg   Inner Primary Transmission Mainshaft Bearing?-inner-primary-inside.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 08:21 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You still need an oil seal to keep primary lube in the chaincase. The seal gets installed flush with the back of the cover; you need .050-.060" or so clearance between the seal and the bearing so that the inner race of the bearing doesn't contact the seal. So, if the seal is roughly .275" thick; add .060" clearance, you get .335". Install the bearing with a thin film of red Loctite on the outer race to a depth of .335" from the back of the inner primary. I just did this job on an '85 FXSB, thogh didn't have any issues with fit in the inner primary. Seems pretty crazy not to have any snap rings to locate and secure the bearing, but that's how it is.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 AM
DJ Baar
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Eric. Yah I just never seen a bearing with nothing to keep it where it is supposed to be in the race before. But that is what I did remove. And the old bearing was definately going SOUTH.

DJ Baar