Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

iate it.Starter clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 12:16 AM
02glide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iate it.Starter clutch

When I hit the starter it makes the whirrr sound with no engagement. I have the primary and starter yanked. I have a couple of questions if someone could help I'd appreciate it.

I got a low mileage starter that is good-the starter clutch is inside the starter right?

Is it ok to hook up the starter and test that the engine starts with the primary off (just for a second)?

Seems that all I have to do is install the new starter or am I wrong on that?

Thanks

Old 11-20-2006, 05:19 PM
NitroBerserker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: iate it.Starter clutch

I just went though this myself > Starter Clutch Went out AGAIN

Yes the starter clutch is inside the starter, you just take off the piece that mounts to the inner primary and there it is. it's only held in with an o-ring I just set the housing on a couple peices of wood and smacked it with a plastic hammer i.e. Genuine Harley Tool
advise having a manual handy so you get every thing back together in the proper order.
You don't have to START the bike to check the starter clutch, it just is messy that way. pull the plug wires so it won't start, then just hit the button you will see the shaft move out to engage the big gear on the clutch hub. if it turns your set, if not then the starter clutch is bad. Even at that it will sling some oil around from the gear but not as much as if you actually start it.

Hope this was some help.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:15 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: iate it.Starter clutch

My old high compression RG was a starter clutch muncher! I changed it several times.

I have since been told that the Terry Components starter clutch is a MUCH BETTER unit than the tiawanese POS that comes in our starters of from the dealership. If you have an increased compression build, do yourself a favor and get the better unit now.