Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary Drip

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 AM
boomscatty
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Drip

I seem to have developed a drip at the bottom of the primary near the drain plug and its not consistent. This has happened twice now and I'm not sure exactly where to start. It seems to be either from the lower bolt near the drain plug or coming from the drain plug. Any ideas??

Thanks!
Scott

Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by boomscatty
I seem to have developed a drip at the bottom of the primary near the drain plug and its not consistent. This has happened twice now and I'm not sure exactly where to start. It seems to be either from the lower bolt near the drain plug or coming from the drain plug. Any ideas??

Thanks!
Scott
What year/model? Does the drip show up after a ride, drip long enoug to make a spor about the size of a quarter and then stop?

Before you do anything, I would take the bike to the car wash and clean the underside well. Take if for a ride and park it . If the drip shows up, get a good flashlight and get under the bike and look up where at the innner primary and engine case joint. Many time a leak like you are describing originates there.

Are you sure it's primary fluid and not trans fluid?Drain plug is easy enough to figure out.

If you are convinced its the drain plug or a loose outer primary fastner, drain the primary, get some Loctite Thread Sealant and reinstall. If the leak stops, you know what to do.

Check torque on all the outer primary fasteners.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have that same drip...1999 road king.
If i run at road speeds9 65 and higher0 it leaks enogh to drip onto the exhaust and develop an oder. lower speeds and it will drip the 1/4 size spot and stop. i contemplated replacing the enitre primary gasket and the oring on the drain bolt. any thoughts on this?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Both of these leaks could very well be the inner primary seal. Primary oil will run down the back of the primary and appear to be leaking from a bolt or drain plug.

Clean everything up, go for a ride and then park the bike. If you get some oil initially, clean it up and leave the bike parked for a couple of days. If the dripping eventually stops, it is most likely the inner primary seal which is relatively easy and inexpensive to replace.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi Scott and welcome to HDF from the UK. A Harley is entitled to mark where it parks!

There are several places it can develop a leak from: the trans oil seal behind the pulley, as well as the inner primary oil seal, the primary cover gasket, derby cover and drain plug. The challenge is identifying which one, as oil can travel a long way when hot and doesn't always drop from where it started out!