Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Starter Leaking Primary Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Starter Leaking Primary Oil

After weeks of seeing oil drops on the floor under my '09 RKC, I decided to trace down the source. I removed the starter. There are drip marks on the belt and transmission running down on the oil pan. My investigation has proved that the oil drips are coming from the starter itself. The surface of the primary around the starter shaft opening is dry. So it is not a faulty primary to starter o-ring. There's no oil coming from the transmission main shaft opening either. I know the oil is primary oil because the transmission oil is red. The starter is the 1.4kw chrome, part# 31621-06A that the dealer used to replaced the stock one under warranty.

Question is this: Has anybody encountered this problem? How did it get fixed?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:34 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

You sound like you are certain of the source of the leak but think you will have to pull the inner primary to be sure.

Unusual for low mileage but the oil seal in the innner primary at the starter pinion (jackshaft) could be leaking, or, I think, oil could get past the thrust washer on the jackshaft bolt that has an oil seal incorporated into the washer.

Last edited by djl; 07-25-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:19 PM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jackshaft seal

Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 PM
bowhunter7532
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all ***** starter clutches have the wrong bearing on them not sealed, they just sent me a replacement for the same reason with new sealed bearing. harley uses all ***** clutches. i had primary oil leak and now is gone. to verify call all ***** and verify my info. not really all ***** fault the got bearings from vendor then put them on their clutches. bearings were supposed to be sealed but weren't

Last edited by bowhunter7532; 07-25-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

There are 2 Alan bolts on the right side which hold the exhaust pipe into the transmission case. (the starter is above this area) these bolts on 09s back out over time with vibration causing trans leak minor wet drip. You say your trans oil is red so you know best. But mine is yellow and that's where my leak was. Harley said it was common on 09s...why I do not know. Factory ran out of loc tight? Who knows. Just fyi

Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
After weeks of seeing oil drops on the floor under my '09 RKC, I decided to trace down the source. I removed the starter. There are drip marks on the belt and transmission running down on the oil pan. My investigation has proved that the oil drips are coming from the starter itself. The surface of the primary around the starter shaft opening is dry. So it is not a faulty primary to starter o-ring. There's no oil coming from the transmission main shaft opening either. I know the oil is primary oil because the transmission oil is red. The starter is the 1.4kw chrome, part# 31621-06A that the dealer used to replaced the stock one under warranty.

Question is this: Has anybody encountered this problem? How did it get fixed?
Several possibilities have been put out there. I, for one, am interested in the fix; keep us posted.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bowhunter7532
all ***** starter clutches have the wrong bearing on them not sealed, they just sent me a replacement for the same reason with new sealed bearing. harley uses all ***** clutches. i had primary oil leak and now is gone. to verify call all ***** and verify my info. not really all ***** fault the got bearings from vendor then put them on their clutches. bearings were supposed to be sealed but weren't
WOW. I think that is the problem with mine. The primary oil seems to enter thru the pinion gear shaft opening and into the starter housing. From there it seeps out and drips down on the belt and transmission. I'll confirm that on Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks for the info on the bearing seal. I'll try and get hold of All *****.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

No word from the dealer tech yet. But I did talk to All ***** Bearings regarding the leak. It seems that this problem is more common than I thought. The reason is that the primary on later model bikes is not venting very well. It's supposed to vent via the transmission. But for some reason that may not be happening. Or not happening well enough. Then, as the temp goes up, so does the pressure in the primary. So, in combination with a non-sealed starter clutch bearing, this results in primary oil being pushed past the bearing into the starter housing. From there, it seeps out and drips down on whatever's there. So, would a better vented primary solve the problem? Maybe. But a better solution would be an improved housing seal by replacing the starter clutch with all new improved components that would seal the starter once and for all. So, my next step is to finish up with Harley and depending on that outcome picking up a new clutch assembly from All *****.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

Harley says they will do nothing about the leak or defective seal. No surprise. HD parts are strictly "you're on your own" basis. So I have a replacement starter clutch on order. This one actually has a seal on the bearing.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
No word from the dealer tech yet. But I did talk to All ***** Bearings regarding the leak. It seems that this problem is more common than I thought. The reason is that the primary on later model bikes is not venting very well. It's supposed to vent via the transmission. But for some reason that may not be happening. Or not happening well enough. Then, as the temp goes up, so does the pressure in the primary. So, in combination with a non-sealed starter clutch bearing, this results in primary oil being pushed past the bearing into the starter housing. From there, it seeps out and drips down on whatever's there. So, would a better vented primary solve the problem? Maybe. But a better solution would be an improved housing seal by replacing the starter clutch with all new improved components that would seal the starter once and for all. So, my next step is to finish up with Harley and depending on that outcome picking up a new clutch assembly from All *****.
You may want to add one of these to your primary. It is a drill and tap job but will eliminate overpressure leaks.

http://www.retrocycle.com/CustomChro...sion_Vent.html

Quick Reply: Starter Leaking Primary Oil