Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Starter Leaking Primary Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Conclusion: The leaking starter on my '09 RKC is caused by a non-sealing bearing in the starter clutch. As pressure builds in the primary due to heat, oil is forced thru the non-sealing bearing and into the starter housing. It then seeps out onto the transmission and drive belt and drips to the ground. The leak is often mistaken as a transmission or drive-to-primary seal leak of some kind. But, removing the starter reveals the true cause. The starter is very easy to pull off and takes only about fifteen minutes to do.

Not all starters will have this problem. But many do. The solution is to replace the starter clutch with one that seals the bearing. HD sells one for $117 retail and All ***** Bearings has one for about $85. There are some on eBay for much less. But can't tell if they have the sealed bearing or not. Another thing that will help is to improve the venting of the primary somehow. One post suggested a transmission venting screw and hose kit. I'm considering that as well. My total DIY repair cost is about $95 and about 1 hour time.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Result. The new starter clutch from All ***** with sealed bearings cured the leak. No leak for 1,500 miles.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:28 PM
miketv84
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
Conclusion: The leaking starter on my '09 RKC is caused by a non-sealing bearing in the starter clutch. As pressure builds in the primary due to heat, oil is forced thru the non-sealing bearing and into the starter housing. It then seeps out onto the transmission and drive belt and drips to the ground. The leak is often mistaken as a transmission or drive-to-primary seal leak of some kind. But, removing the starter reveals the true cause. The starter is very easy to pull off and takes only about fifteen minutes to do.

Not all starters will have this problem. But many do. The solution is to replace the starter clutch with one that seals the bearing. HD sells one for $117 retail and All ***** Bearings has one for about $85. There are some on eBay for much less. But can't tell if they have the sealed bearing or not. Another thing that will help is to improve the venting of the primary somehow. One post suggested a transmission venting screw and hose kit. I'm considering that as well. My total DIY repair cost is about $95 and about 1 hour time.

Hey, how much of a leak was it ? I have the same issue and I changed the inner primary deal I thought was the issue. Still leaking. Only once hot and riding awhile. Starter was changed a couple years ago and I'm pretty sure the leak started around then. I ordered an all ***** starter clutch. Thanks .

Old 08-08-2021, 09:43 AM
miketv84
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee

I had the same thing with my 2007 Road King. Replaced the starter clutch with all ***** racing and it worked for awhile. But now it's leaking again. I tried another replacement from all ***** and didn't work. Are all of them suppose to be sealed bearings?