Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

rear wheel fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rear wheel fitment issues

okay, here's the deal....

doing a frame off restoration on a '91 FXSTS.... it originally had the slotted disc for the rear wheel

i decided to swap it out for a 40 spoke, and upgrade the 91 hub to a 2000 hub.... got it together and laced it up to an 18 inch with a 150, and installed the narrower 1 1/8 belt pulley

....looks beautiful

now, i knew i might run into an issue with the spacers, which is fine... custom spacers are easy enough to get....it's gonna require a standard brake-side spacer for a 2000 softail...but belt pulley side will require a 1 5/8....not a problem, as this will center the tire exactly down the center, spot on

issue i'm having now is that the drive belt pulley is smack up against the swingarm... what to do?

....figure i'll remove the pulley and have a machine shop shave down the backside of the pulley 3/16 to 1/4 inch where it bolts to the hub? ....does that sound like an accurate and logical thing to do?

hope to hear from someone!

paul..... pics attached!

Attached Thumbnails rear wheel fitment issues-rwheel1.jpg   rear wheel fitment issues-rwheel2.jpg   rear wheel fitment issues-rwheel3.jpg   rear wheel fitment issues-rwheel4.jpg   rear wheel fitment issues-rwheel5.jpg  

Old 06-28-2011, 05:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Hi Paul. I had somewhat similar problems a while ago, installing a 2007 swingarm in my 1990 bike. What I found is that the narrow belt pulley has a different offset built into it, compared with my earlier wide pulley. I tried to fit the wide pulley to my later wheel. When trying to fit spacers behind the pulley, to get enough clearance between the tyre and belt, the pulley hit the swingarm, as you are suffering. I also use a 150 tyre.

You have to play off several things. If you want to run a belt guard (very wise to do!) you need clearance for that between tyre and belt, which may make modifying the pulley a problem. An alternative is to alter the wheel axle spacers to shift the pulley away from the swingarm, although then the wheel will be offset slightly in the frame/swingarm.

If your pulley has plenty of meat on it, seems logical to use some of it to get that vital pulley/swingarm clearance!