Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch cable adjustment vs. the clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:35 AM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default clutch cable adjustment vs. the clunk

In an earlier thread, I posted the issues I was having with shifting difficulties, hitting neutral, hard shifting, and the clunk.
After studying the DIY section on clutch adjustment, I checked the cable at the lever....could only pull it away about 1/8 inch.
I readjusted the cable to about 3/16, possibly just a little more slack, now the bike is hitting neutral every time, no problem, also, the hard shifting is improved and the clunk is only in 1st....as it should be.
I can feel the bike start to pull as I let out on the clutch ...prolly about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the grip.
Is it possibly that the cable was too tight? Its "clicking" thru the gears now instead of slamming in each one, also, the bike seems to be pulling better.
Could a over tight clutch cable cause these problems, or is there such a thing as "overtight"?
Any replies from someone with knowledge in this area is much apreciated.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:46 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Default RE: clutch cable adjustment vs. the clunk

Well, I haven't seen the part of the DIY section that says your cable should have free play of over 1/8" but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. I used the clutch adjustment method in the DIY section that doesn't match the Shop Manual and put 1/16" in mine and am happy with the shifting. It isn't just the cable, it's the proper setting of the clutch adjustment too.

If the clutch isn't fully engaging I would think that it would seem to be smoother. Creating more slack in your cable should only make sure that it is fully engaging, however. It coud be something as simple as your hand/foot coordination. You may be conditioned to another bike and don't even notice that your timing is a little off... at least, I thought about this when I bought my NT last year. If your clutch doesn't fully disengage, then you might be adding wear to the gears. That would be the only consequence of a loose cable that I could think of.

C#

Old 10-31-2006, 09:58 AM
chops
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no substituting adjusting the clutch through the inspection cover. It's very easy but you need a manual.
It's a two part process, the clutch is adjusted, and the cable is adjusted lastly. It sounds close the way you have it.

Clunking, surging at low speed and hard to find neutral are more associated with improper primary chain tension. That is why the automatic chain tensioners are so popular, they provide the right amount of tension whether the chain is hot or cold.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Chief101
Road Captain

Thanks for the replies............I found the primary to be within specs.....but being VERY new here, I will check it again.
Bike seems to run very well with the cable adjusted some, however I believe I will take a deep breath and do the clutch adjustment following the info here as well ae the maual.
Thank you again for the replies........just trying my best to get an understanding of the HD and take good care of it.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The best way to avoid the clunk when first droping into gear is to hold the clutch lever in for maybe 10 secs. this allows the clutch to seperate and the primary shaft to completely stop. This is especially true when the engine is cold.After the tranny/ gear oil warms up you can disregard this. Watching people crank a cold engine and stomp it into gear is almost as good as watching people gear down to first while going 40 mph.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I would start with adjusting the clutch first to make sure it is in spec then adjust the cable after.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Chief101
Road Captain

Following all of the information here I have resolved my problem.
I found both the clutch as well as the cable to be out of adjustment, and, the primary chain was a little on the tight side.
After making the proper adjustments........1st time for me......I then filled the tranny with Mobil 1 75/90 gear oil. Big difference. shifting very well, slight clunk going from neutral to first, but nothing like it was.
Thanks for all of the info........happy and riding again here!