Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission Plug

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006 | 10:08 AM
JollyRogers
|
Road Master
Default Transmission Plug

I have an 07 RK standard (yes it makes THE noises) and had the 1000 service done by dealer instead of me... Now because of the transmission noise I wanted to TRY some AMSOIL HD in the TRansbox. So when I went to drain it I noticed the plug was like real sticky when trying to pull it out... finally get it out and I find the plug has no o-ring on it and it was wrapped in teflon prior to the previous installation. No mind you it did not leak, but this was done by the dealer. I looked at my service manual and I know because I do all the maintenance on my 06 Dyna w/ the 6 speed tranny and they all have/show the o-ring on the drain plug and have no mention of teflon on the plug.

Now I realise this is not really THAT big of a deal. But after spending 320 bucks, IT F'ing pisses me off that they aren't doing it by the book and are rigging ****. I can only imagine what other cr@p they do for shortcuts etc... The guy ran out of o-rings most likely and was to lazy to get some... OR MAYBE there is a super secret squirrel technical bulletin for HD tech eyes only out that there is a problem with the tranny's leaking and to use teflon on the plugs rant is over (thanks)

Regardless, has anyone else had dealer service do this?

Old 10-21-2006 | 11:27 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Transmission Plug

I would just start doing my own service.
Use the O-ring and Permatex thread sealer.

Old 10-21-2006 | 11:44 AM
anubisss
Banned

I buy the new plugs from the dealer and they have the stuff on them, whetever it is. I always use an o ring too. That is something I might go backand complain about after spending a large sum of money with them. But that is just me.

Old 10-21-2006 | 03:02 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

First off, check and see if it's a pipe plug instead of an O-ring plug. If one end is slightly smaller than the other, it's a pipe plug. Then no O-ring is used, and teflon paste (not tape) is a must.

Sometimes the service manual is wrong, and doesn't keep up with new changes. Surprise!

Old 10-26-2006 | 08:51 PM
Bighorse
Road Captain

I keep a good supply of the rubber o-rings on hand. The dealer charges me 27 cents apiece for them. Amsoil ought to help your tranny situation but most likely just needs to break in. GL with a nice ride!