Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005 | 08:12 PM
RCNewton
|
5th Gear
Default Clutch Cable Replacement

Newbie I know I know. (Insert joke here)
I was just wondering what all I need to get at my HD dealer to save me a couple of trips there tomorrow. My clutch cable snapped today while I was leaving work. Should I get I a new Quad ring too. Or what all should I replace while I am doing this. Any help to save more than one trip across town would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Old 06-30-2005 | 09:11 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Default RE: Clutch Cable Replacement

You would need the proper cable of course, a quart of TRANS oil,(not engine oil) a side cover (cable side)gasket and something cold to drink and that should do it. See if you can get the new "O" ring for the clutch (derby) cover, if they have it, pick up a few as they are doing away with them and they are much better than the new flat gasket they are using to replace it.

Depending on the bike you have , you may need to cut down a 1/4 inch allen key so that you do not have to remove the exhaust system to get the cover off to replace the cable. If you need to do this, cut down the short end just long enough to fully seat into the allen head fastener all the way and this saves you much time. Just loosten the bolts all the way without trying to remove them from the cover as the pipes preclude this. Lift the cover up and out once all the bolts are completely loose.

Old 06-30-2005 | 09:36 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

I just replaced the clutch cable on my '05 RK - went to braided clutch and throttle cables for cosmetic reasons. I did remove (partially) the exhaust system - took time but made the trip into the clutch cable housing easy. Hadn't thought of the shortened Allen head tool - there's not a whole lot of room there at the lower bolts. When you pull everything apart, don't lose the little ball bearing type ***** in there and when you reassemble it, hold them in place with a little grease.

Old 06-30-2005 | 09:38 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Ted, You should try that, it really makes your life easy

There really shouldn't be a need to mess with the ramp and ***** as you can unhook the cable without releasing the "C" clip that holds it in if your crafty

Old 07-01-2005 | 02:52 AM
RCNewton
|
5th Gear

Thank you very much,

Craig