Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Five Speed Shifter Rachet Spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM
dockwatson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Five Speed Shifter Rachet Spring

I have been told the shifter rachet spring on my '91 dyna 5-speed can be replaced from the right side, so I don't have to get into the primary/clutch removal. Has anyone had any experience in this? I am not a tranny guy, buy an pretty mechanically adept. Should I try it?

Thanks,
Doc

Old 03-31-2011, 04:28 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

That spring is on the lefthand wall of the trans casing, behind the entire gear cluster. From what I understand you will have to remove the primary side and clutch, so you can remove the gear cluster from the right cover you mention. Certainly that was what I had done to my 1990 bike when my spring broke. Spring cost a few bucks, but took hours to replace!

Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,404 Likes on 5,007 Posts

You need a tool to pull the trapdoor off the shafts, once the trapdoor is off you need to remove the countershaft. Note: whenever the trapdoor is separated from the shafts the bearings must be replaced, as the removal process cross loads the bearings.

Loosen the shifter lever on the shifter shaft; remove the snap ring on the shifter shaft, then remove the shaft/pawl assembly.

I don`t recommend this procedure, I would rather remove the primary side components.

Since your bike is 20 years old, it wouldn`t hurt to have a look at all that stuff in there anyway. Removing the primary will also give you the chance to replace all the seals on the transmission.

Your bike came with the old design belt pulley up front, which was upgraded in `94, if the bike still has the original pulley setup, you should consider the upgraded hardware which includes the pulley, nut, lock and spacer and seal.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:20 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These springs on older models where know to break. I have done several of them years ago and if I remember correctly you have to remove the gears to be able to put the shifter out to replace the spring. I all ways pulled the all the primary stuff off to do this job.

Yes if you have the old style pulley make sure you up date it. The old style was know for the head of the lock screw breaking off and the nut holding the pulley coming loose. The new style has a lock plate held by 2 screws a MUCH better set up.