Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 PM
HDKiz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary oil

I have looked at the forums and not found anything on this. Probably because it is a sportster. I have a '95 sportster. Oil leaks from the primary. I'm also a carpenter, and the bike is not made of wood. Where do I check the fluids for the primary, and add or drain them from? I saw a lot of posts about this, but none for my model. I know there are manuals available for this, but do not own one as of yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 AM
DJJSR
Cruiser
Default RE: Primary oil

I also have a '95. It's time for you to change a few gaskets. The primary cover gasket, derby cover quad ring, inspection cover ring and shifter shaft seal. It's not a difficult job, but get a manual. It will tell you some important things like torque specs and tightening sequence. Follow those specs carefully to avoid a stripped thread or another leak.
Some guys get a little frustrated when trying to hold the derby cover quad ring in place. Since you're going to have the primary cover off, you may want to try what I did. With the primary cover lying flat on your bench, clean and dry the shallow groove that locates the quad ring. Then, using a toothpick or q-tip, put a very small dab of silicon in 8 places around the groove and put the quad ring in place. Set the derby cover in place and lightly snug the screws. In a few hours take the derby cover off. The silicone will be dry enough to hold the ring. I've had my derby cover off several times since I did this and haven't replaced the quad ring or had it fall out of place.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:49 PM
HDKiz
1st Gear

Just a quick thanks for the info.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:42 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another quick tip. Anytime you try and place a cover or a pan on a flat surface, it can be a little difficult to line everything up and still get a few bolts started. Primary cover, auto differential cover, etc.

Get 4 bolts of the same diameter as the attachement bolts, but about twice as long. Cut the head off, and cut a notch in the end for a screwdriver. Place the four bolts somewhat evenly around the perimiter. Now you can slide the gasket in place, and then the cover. Place all the other bolts in just hand tight, remove the studs and put those bolts in hand tight. No go around and torque to specs in the proper sequence.

I would also use a little Permatex Black Magic on both sides of the gasket. Not much, just a real light smear.