Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny issues - Thumbs Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006 | 09:22 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: 2007 Tranny issues - Thumbs Up

I think guys with upgrades are also complaining.The noise may be just drowned out by louder exh.

Old 10-05-2006 | 12:47 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Akitakoi
I agree on the staying stock for now thing, the PCIII just plugs in and can be unpluged in a matter of a couple minutes. The tech's would never know it had been there.
Don't bet on that......

The PC is leaving a telltale that the ECM Input/Output signals have been modified....

What it has been doing (And I am seeing this more often), is that when the PC is removed, you access the ECM Via Digital Tech, and in the "System Information" table, the VIN that is encoded to the ECM is blank.....

When that happens, no updates can be done to the ECM, SERT cannot be installed, nor can a new ECM Flash be installed, as the program is VIN based for certain choices.....

Have had 2 PC's be exchanged for SERT's on customers bikes after the PC's crapped out (Throwing codes, prolonged cranking times, and general mayhem)... Went to get ECM info with the SERT to install a baseline map, and SERT couldn't validate VIN....

Hook up Digital Tech, and lo and behold, it's gone, as the PC modified yet another signal, but this time it modified it INSIDE the ECM Programming...... And YES, the PC was already removed from the ECM and main harness...

Old 10-05-2006 | 01:03 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain

Damn, thats interesting, you don't suppose its intended to do this, do you? What about a DFO, can you tell if they have been installed or not?
ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

ORIGINAL: Akitakoi
I agree on the staying stock for now thing, the PCIII just plugs in and can be unpluged in a matter of a couple minutes. The tech's would never know it had been there.
Don't bet on that......

The PC is leaving a telltale that the ECM Input/Output signals have been modified....

What it has been doing (And I am seeing this more often), is that when the PC is removed, you access the ECM Via Digital Tech, and in the "System Information" table, the VIN that is encoded to the ECM is blank.....

When that happens, no updates can be done to the ECM, SERT cannot be installed, nor can a new ECM Flash be installed, as the program is VIN based for certain choices.....

Have had 2 PC's be exchanged for SERT's on customers bikes after the PC's crapped out (Throwing codes, prolonged cranking times, and general mayhem)... Went to get ECM info with the SERT to install a baseline map, and SERT couldn't validate VIN....

Hook up Digital Tech, and lo and behold, it's gone, as the PC modified yet another signal, but this time it modified it INSIDE the ECM Programming...... And YES, the PC was already removed from the ECM and main harness...

Old 10-05-2006 | 01:14 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BVBOB
Damn, thats interesting, you don't suppose its intended to do this, do you? What about a DFO, can you tell if they have been installed or not?
No, I don't believe that it is purposely designed that way... I think it is an unforseen byproduct of the interception and modification of the input/output signals to and from the ECM......

DFO snaps in between the Injectors, and only modifies the Injector Dwell...

No other Input/Output signals are modified....

I think that the DFO, as the Race Fueler, must have external voltage applied for it to operate, as the injectors are 5 vdc, so more than likely, you will have a stray power lead that is hanging out.....

Tuck it away....

Old 10-05-2006 | 05:41 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Had a pcIII installed on my 02 classic, removed it and had harly shop do the stage one download, no problems runs great

Old 10-05-2006 | 05:57 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I think Shovelhead Bob was talking more towards 07s

Old 10-05-2006 | 06:42 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member

No Offense but I contacted Jamie at fuelmotousa about this. This is the answer I got back.

Hello, because of the fact that the Power Commander drives the injectors and does not reverse communicate with the ECU this is not possible and is a non-valid statement.

Because the Power Commander does not cause the engine light to come on or store codes this is not possible. Erasing logic in the ECM??? Very interesting. The statement sounds like a biased opinion of a Harley dealer or tech trying to sell SERT's. We have tuned 100's of Power Commanders on these bikes and have sold thousands of Power Commander with no problems. I would also like to state about the Harley dealers schemes to discredit the Power Commander, while the SERT absolutely voids the warranty as you must agree to this is the acceptace terms in the software.

Old 10-05-2006 | 06:50 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I doubt hes trying to sell anything,maybe just giving you guys a heads up that this could be traced and possibly effect warranty claims.Like it or not these guys still have to play by higher ups rules.

Old 10-05-2006 | 07:10 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member

Jamie did not know were I got the questions I asked him, maybe he assumed I was talking to HD service.

I know Bob is not trying to sell serts here, just wanted to know if what he said could really happen.

Please don't ban me Bob?

Old 10-05-2006 | 08:42 PM
GOBB
Intermediate

Hey Bob, Shouldn't these 02 sensors be doing a better job of controling fuel? On cars there doesn't seem to be as many lean complaints.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny issues - Thumbs Up