Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

You Might Not Have The '07 Tranny Noise If ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 04:01 AM
WildBill76
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: You Might Not Have The '07 Tranny Noise If ...

Or you have straight pipes and can no longer hear, let alone anyone around you with an 07 hear their tranny music. Some how I think we have forgotten we are riding motorcycles. For the most part they do make some noise. If you have metal shavings on your drain plug, check into it. You might have a problem. I have never had a manual transmission that was quiet in all gears. Harley does listen to the customers. They may have to work on the mating surfaces of the gears to quiet the sounds reflected by the fairing lowers. I am happy with my bike. But I might be one of the lucky ones. Good Luck y'all.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dave_B

You Just Might Not Have The Dreaded '07 5th Gear Clatter If...

6) You've changed lubes and the noise is acceptable.
85w140 in tranny, 20w50 in primary.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever side you take one must admit that The "2007 Tranny problem" gotta be a record topic, no? Over 78,000 hits and over 1000 replies to date - That's big!! Hat's off to CT_Duke!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

Still not one breakdown on a 07 due to the new drive train , still not one shifting problem with a 07 , don't know what you mean about taking sides , but same few that hear a noise , so now its 78,001 posts about nothing.
ORIGINAL: ironoxide

What ever side you take one must admit that The "2007 Tranny problem" gotta be a record topic, no? Over 78,000 hits and over 1000 replies to date - That's big!! Hat's off to CT_Duke!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Edelmon
Cruiser

Yeah, Yeah, we know. You're a lucky one. good for you. Wish you the best of luck. Hope you never have to ask a question about your bike on this forum....Oh, yeah, you wouldn't as you are a Harley Employee.

GEEZ!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

Lets see, all these posts about a problem that not one person actually had a breakdown because of , for that my friend you will never find a answer , what do you expect them to fix ?
For your comment about being a employed by HD , I am not.
ORIGINAL: Edelmon

Yeah, Yeah, we know. You're a lucky one. good for you. Wish you the best of luck. Hope you never have to ask a question about your bike on this forum....Oh, yeah, you wouldn't as you are a Harley Employee.

GEEZ!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 AM
RdKngRider
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: hd2007

Lets see, all these posts about a problem that not one person actually had a breakdown because of , for that my friend you will never find a answer , what do you expect them to fix ?
If the bike sounds like crap when you're in 5th gear, then that's a problem. If your bike were making the noise, maybe you'd understand that.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No tranny mishaps so to speak and hope it never comes to it,some bikes are getting the neutral lites when in upper gears and that should be looked into ASAP.******* Bike had some sort of drivetrain issue on way to Daytona,Im sure it wasnt tranny related.The tranny isnt the problem and HD knows this at least w/the majority.The problem starts way upstream and the tranny is only the tip of the whip.Heavier fluids will dampen noise until something better comes along-if ever.Newer bikes have been built with this noise in mind.This has gone on for too long and Im sure HD doesnt want to play God on if it will fail or not.Theres beenactions taken by them for a problem they tell most dont exists.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:08 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain

I agree RDKngRider. The terrific feedback our bikes produce is a major reason we all ride HD's. Sound is a major component of this feedback. Afterall, didn't HD try to patent their sound a while back? Like you said, if fifth gear sounds like crap, then it's a problem. This caught the MOCO by surprise. They didn't do their homework on this item.

ORIGINAL: RdKngRider

ORIGINAL: hd2007

If the bike sounds like crap when you're in 5th gear, then that's a problem. If your bike were making the noise, maybe you'd understand that.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:17 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Dave B, funny. Rest of ya, have the noise too, I am going to do my damdest to break that dam thing in two years after that I wont worry about it.

Quick Reply: You Might Not Have The '07 Tranny Noise If ...