Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Help! My clutch won't release!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Help! My clutch won't release!

I need some help! I had to replace the stator on a 03 wide glide and now the clutch is hanging up. I adjusted dthe freeplay and checked everything is working fine except that when I pull in the clutch, the bike feels like it is still released. With the lever pulled, the spring is flexed and I get about 1/4" of movement still feels stuck in gear. I removed all freeplay in the cable and still hangs up. Cannot move the bike in 1st. gear with clutch engaged. I tried to start the bike with the lever pulled and the scoot just lurched forward. Now the weird part. If I put it in 3rd. 4th. or 5th. Does'nt seem to hang up at all. This is not the first stator I have replaced (lots) first one with this problem. One other thing, the bike belonges to my big brother-inlaw and he want's it by Sat. So there you have it. Anyone out there have any Ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe it need adjustment at the derby. Have you tried that?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Moonrider
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Maybe it need adjustment at the derby. Have you tried that?
Yep. No difference. I even screwed the adj. screw in to take up any freeplay and still hangs up.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:53 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>>I tried to start the bike with the lever pulled and the scoot just lurched forward.<<

It sounds like you clutch plates are sticking together. You're on the right track, just keep doing it. Start the bike with the clutch in and when the bikes lurches forward hit the brakes hard. Eventually the clutch will break free. Some guys do it just by rocking the bike back and fourth. (In gear, clutch lever in.)

Old 11-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonrider
Yep. No difference. I even screwed the adj. screw in to take up any freeplay and still hangs up.

Thanks for the reply.
After you took up the slack did you back it off 1/2 to 1 turn back out and set it?

You have to have slack in the cable to set the push rod adjuster correctly

Old 11-20-2010, 01:04 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

possibly cluch plates have worn groves in the cluch hub.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe something happend to the ramp on the other end.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:23 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Was it working fine before you replaced the stator? if so then its definitely an adjustment issue. I had the ***** in the trans cover fall out of place with my '93 evo, and it took very little work to get them back where they belong . Did you loosen the clutch cable adjustment before you adjusted the clutch pack adjustment?,..

Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Moonrider
Road Master

First. Thanks to all that replied and offerd different ideas to help solve my problem. As it turns ou NickD was right on. It took a while (20mins) of starting and easing the clutch with the brakes and it finally freed up. I guess with the clutch pack settin aside awhile while doing other things on the scoot and time constrants (about 3 weeks) the discs were stuck either by them drying out or just with the oil on them. I didn't think it would hurt them settin in a empty container with a rag covering it? After I got it all back together and had the problem I did not think of the obvious. After all this is not the 1st. time I have replaced a stator or worked on a clutch pack. Oh well I learn new stuff all the time. Anyway, thanks again for all you help!

Dave R.

p.s. Maybe it was the kind of primary oil or the burned up stator mixing with the oil.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:06 PM
Mlzconstruction
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar issue

Originally Posted by NickD
>>I tried to start the bike with the lever pulled and the scoot just lurched forward.<<

It sounds like you clutch plates are sticking together. You're on the right track, just keep doing it. Start the bike with the clutch in and when the bikes lurches forward hit the brakes hard. Eventually the clutch will break free. Some guys do it just by rocking the bike back and fourth. (In gear, clutch lever in.)

So I'm having a similar problem. Only difference is that I can't shift out of 1st. Does this change any part of your advice?

Quick Reply: Help! My clutch won't release!