Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary Chain Adjuster Failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Primary Chain Adjuster Failure!

Here are pictures of what I found when I opened the primary on my 2007 Softail. The auto chain tensioner was in the fully collapsed position. (well very close to it anyway) The chain was so loose it was hitting the inner primary case. The damage is visible. I had tried the speed up in first and slow down very quickly without pulling in the clutch. It did NOT work. I kept hearing metal clanging on hard acceleration. I had already replaced the wimpy stock compensator with the SE one, so I knew it wasn't that. I had set the adjuster as tight as I could get it back then. It will be replaced with a new Wedge 2 from SOHOT bikes.

Attached Thumbnails Primary Chain Adjuster Failure!-untitled-3.jpg   Primary Chain Adjuster Failure!-untitled-4.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Clayvis
Road Master

Here are a few more snaps of the project to date, including the old and new adjusters.

Attached Thumbnails Primary Chain Adjuster Failure!-untitled-5.jpg   Primary Chain Adjuster Failure!-untitled-6.jpg   Primary Chain Adjuster Failure!-untitled-9.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clayvis, how tight do you think it needs to be? It looks pretty good in your first two pics. Too tight even.

Last edited by Scorpion07; 10-28-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Clayvis
Road Master

I should have taken a picture of how much chain deflection (play) there is in the chain. If I remember tonight I will. The top chain is so loose it can be moved up and down about an inch. That's way too loose. If you look good you can see the damage done to the inner primary. Like I said, when I re-installed the stock adjuster after doing the SE compensator, it was ratcheted up quite a bit more. I've heard reports of them over-tightening, but mine is the opposite, it will not tighten on its own. I am hoping the Wedge 2 performs as advertised and reported by others here. I will post my findings.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Clayvis
Road Master

DOOOH! I just realized I already removed the stock tensioner, so I won't be able to show how loose the top chain was. Believe me, it was loose. That horrible sound I heard under hard acceleration was the chain eating my chrome inner primary! You will know when it happens to you, but only if you hammer the throttle real good. I do that on a fairly regular basis....

Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I was gonna say they look like two different tensioners in the pics...

Old 10-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Nick-O
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clayvis, while you have the primary off, would you count the teeth on the clutch hub and the drive sprocket? I am working on a 2007 fxstc and trying to figure out the drive ratio. You would help me so much if you could count that off for me.

Nicko

Old 10-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Nick-O
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I say drive sprocket i mean the teeth on the compensator sprocket....

Old 10-28-2010, 07:33 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Clayvis
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nick-O
clayvis, while you have the primary off, would you count the teeth on the clutch hub and the drive sprocket? I am working on a 2007 fxstc and trying to figure out the drive ratio. You would help me so much if you could count that off for me.

Nicko
Sorry Nick, but I buttoned her up before I saw your post. If memory serves, there were 24 teeth on the compensator sprocket when I did the SE Comp upgrade. This info should be available on another post, or somebody else can chime in. Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: Primary Chain Adjuster Failure!