Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

inner primary seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM
chaktekok
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default inner primary seal

I have a 07 deluxe and just recently started to notice oil collecting under the bike. I checked the primary drain plug and replaced the oring on the drain plug. I believe the inner primary seal is bad as the oil seems to be coming from that area. My question is how much do you think this would cost to have a shop repair.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Which seal do you think is leaking? Click HERE and see a diagram of your primary. Do you think it is #12 (seal to case) or #8 (inner primary seal)? Leaks can be deceiving, it could be the shifter shaft seal which is leaking.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
kship
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem right now on my 2004 EGC. I replaced the main seal and the jack shaft seal. It still leaked. I am now convinced by what I have found it is the main shaft seal on the transmission. You may want to put some red transmission fluid in your primary and rise it a little and see if that is what is leaking or if it is the transmission.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta tell ya, if you have to take off the inner primary? I'd change all the seals including the trans main seal and front o-ring(engine to inner primary). You don't want to have to go back in there for a long a$$ time.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
....Leaks can be deceiving, it could be the shifter shaft seal which is leaking.
That's my guess as well. Mine hass been leaking for a while. I just wipe it down after every couple of rides waiting for an excuse to get in there for something else before I replace the seal.

Tranny fluid will run down then collect under primary before dripping to ground.

I use Redline so it was easier to trace.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 AM
95custmz
Road Master

Lousy o-ring-$1.Shop labor-1 to 2 hrs.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:48 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelonewolf
I gotta tell ya, if you have to take off the inner primary? I'd change all the seals including the trans main seal and front o-ring(engine to inner primary). You don't want to have to go back in there for a long a$$ time.
I tend to agree, when your there you may as well change them all

Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 AM
C-Cat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the baker output shaft bearing upgrade which doesn't incorporate the race. i had the same leak, caused by the race walking inward. so i ended up even pulling the entire primary and gearset replacing all bearings and seals on the outpt shaft and primary too. it will be spendy if you have someone do the work. my seals were bad. if i looked behind the primary up at the front pulley, i could see where the leak was coming from. it would be easy to just replace the primary gaskets and drain plug o-ring and think it's fixed. that's what i was about to do, but a good friend was there and he pointed out to me where the leak was coming from.

Last edited by C-Cat; 10-06-2010 at 06:16 AM. Reason: more detail needed
Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelonewolf
+1 I never do the "use the gasket twice" on that job. Too much of a PIA to do it twice. Same for those inner primary sealing fasteners.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM
chaktekok
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I am using amsoil gear oil in my tranny so the color is the same as the engine and primary oil.the oil is very thick though which has me thinking it may be coming from the tranny.

Quick Reply: inner primary seal