Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tranny Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006 | 12:36 PM
JacksonMan
|
Stage II
Default Tranny Issue...

Hoping someone out there can answer this one...
I ride a 2000 Std Softail, and just had it in for the 20K Maintenance at the dealer.
While changing the tranny fluid, the threads started backing out of the case when they pulled the drain plug out.
They told me this is a common problem, and happens a few times a year. If it really is an issue I have no problems paying for it, but I just can't belive the threads would pull out unless someone over-torqued or cross threaded the plug. Any one out there experienced this problem???
Appreciate the help..
JacksonMan

Old 09-12-2006 | 12:40 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Tranny Issue...

only seal is an O'ring around the plug. The plug goes in dry and the heat generated can dry out the threads so the threads will gaul. Dissimilar metals. If you service every 6000 miles, I doubt this would happen.

Old 09-12-2006 | 01:23 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

I'm of the opinion that if the dealer screwed up the threads, they're responsible for fixing them...

Old 09-12-2006 | 02:09 PM
Square Dude
Banned

When I was in the garage business I don't know how many times I saw Ford oil pan drain plugs stripped out. It seems Ford used a plug with brittle treads and before long someone would screw it in and it wouldn't tighten resulting in a leak. Now, here is where most people messed up: instead of getting a new drain plug they would always reach for an oversize plug and promptly ruin the threads in the oil pan which had been OK. Maybe all you need (or needed) was a new drain plug.

On the other hand, lots of times during a normal tune-up I would remove the fuel inlet fitting to replace a fuel filter on a Rochester or Carter (lots were made by Carter) quadrajet carbeurator and the threads in the bowl would crumble because of the dissimilar metal problem sleepneagle mentioned. This was very hard to explain to a customer who only wanted a tune-up. In the end the problem was bad engineering though. Someone told me there wasn't enought nickel content in the bowl metal. I'd raise cain with them over it. H-D has lots of money.

Old 09-12-2006 | 02:21 PM
JacksonMan
|
Stage II

Appreciate all your input guys...

Old 09-13-2006 | 01:17 AM
turbo54
Road Master

I think the only way it gets broke if some one broke it for you over tighten or lock tight and it broke removeing it. no lock tight you can tell by the color of the plug you know what I mean.

Old 09-15-2006 | 09:07 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Use Loctite brand thread sealer with teflon on your drain plugs....