Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

shifter shaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010 | 04:47 PM
mrtac2man
|
Cruiser
Default shifter shaft removal

got front controls on my 05 fxdci.. now want to remove the mid shifter shaft.. whats needed ? I can turn a wrench.. someone else said just remove primary cover and hack saw it off?? if that is done what supports the remaining shaft???

Old 09-08-2010 | 04:55 PM
IronGear
Tourer

With early kits, there was a clip to hold the top end of the mid-shifter on the trans side, and a chrome cap to cover the end of the shaft where it exited the outer primary.
Later kits did not have this, and you either had to improvise, or remove the inner primary, remove the old shaft, and upon reassembly fit the little blanking cap into the
bushing hole that was, accordingly, vacant.
If you can turn a wrench, you would want to do the primary off deal anyhow, and completely remove the shaft, as it is the best look, and most functional result by far.
The gasket between the inner primary and engine does tend to leak if not replaced each time, so watch out for that.
The outer gasket seems very resilient, and can often stand being used a few times.

Old 09-08-2010 | 05:05 PM
mrtac2man
|
Cruiser

I have the little chrome cap over the shaft now.. but would really like to have a flat cover and not the shaft with the cap sticking out...

Old 09-08-2010 | 09:55 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrtac2man
got front controls on my 05 fxdci.. now want to remove the mid shifter shaft.. whats needed ? I can turn a wrench.. someone else said just remove primary cover and hack saw it off?? if that is done what supports the remaining shaft???
The shaft sits inside the casting on the inner primary. Should just sit there. FWIW, I would leave the set up you have now if you plan to sell the bike so the buyer has the option of going back to mids. Also, if you do remove the cover or inner primary you will need sealing fastners as they are only good once. You will also need all of the tightening sequences and torque values so be sure to get a service manual. Don't forget loctite and a primary sprocket locking tool as well.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 09-08-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2010 | 05:01 AM
IronGear
Tourer

The sealing fasteners are good for numerous applications.
The shaft with the chrome cap looks terrible, and seeing as you are confident, you would do well to take it out, and complete the job properly.

Old 09-09-2010 | 10:40 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronGear
The sealing fasteners are good for numerous applications.
The shaft with the chrome cap looks terrible, and seeing as you are confident, you would do well to take it out, and complete the job properly.
My SM says replace the sealing fasteners and a HD master tech has told me they stretch when torqued and should be replaced. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 09-10-2010 | 01:29 AM
IronGear
Tourer

It is possible for a bolt to stretch when torqued, and sometimes both desirable and necessary.
This is not the case here though.
There is nowhere near enough tension to elongate the bolt.
Your so called master tech lives in a dream world of mis-understanding, applying poorly understood information to non relevant situations.
The manual will always say to replace any sealing device, whether a seal, or a gasket, or in this case, a sealing bolt.
This is to protect themselves.
Some post that when you pull the inner primary, you should replace all the seals, etc,etc.
Certainly the SM states the same.
But there is really no need.
When you have a higher level of understanding, you are not subject to blanket SM statements.
When you know very little, you are unable to discern accurately, and so must accept blind statements.
A little restraint in attempting to burden others would be nice, however.

Old 09-10-2010 | 11:32 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronGear
It is possible for a bolt to stretch when torqued, and sometimes both desirable and necessary.
This is not the case here though.
There is nowhere near enough tension to elongate the bolt.
Your so called master tech lives in a dream world of mis-understanding, applying poorly understood information to non relevant situations.
The manual will always say to replace any sealing device, whether a seal, or a gasket, or in this case, a sealing bolt.
This is to protect themselves.
Some post that when you pull the inner primary, you should replace all the seals, etc,etc.
Certainly the SM states the same.
But there is really no need.
When you have a higher level of understanding, you are not subject to blanket SM statements.
When you know very little, you are unable to discern accurately, and so must accept blind statements.
A little restraint in attempting to burden others would be nice, however.
Really, well IMO I don't want to go through the entire job and have ONE of the sealing fasteners leak and then have to pull the whole damn thing apart again to then figure out which one is leaking and then have to replace them all anyway. So I'll leave my higher level of understanding to the Master Tech I know and the guys who built the bike and wrote the service manual for it. Now when it comes to a simple derby cover gasket I'll re-use. But a sealing part that is buried inside multiple assemblies. That just makes no sense to me at all. That's all. I am glad that you are here though to point out how inexperienced I am. Now I think I'll go out in the garage and flagulate myself with my drive belt as punishment for my stupidity.

Old 09-11-2010 | 12:01 AM
IronGear
Tourer

When you are in a hole, you cannot get out by digging deeper.