Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary chain lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Soarer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary chain lubricant

I have an '03 Dyna Lowrider, I changed the Primary lube today, the book says to put in 26 oz. , then quote " The primary chaincase lubricant level is acceptable when lubricant is visible in the bottom of the chaincase with the motorcycle standing upright" I poured all 32 oz. of fluid before I could see it. It is still about a 3/4 of an inch below the bottom opening. I assume this extra 6 oz. is ok, especially since 26 oz. was not visible. Am I correct on this assumption? Yes, the bike was upright.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:04 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Primary chain lubricant

The fluid needs to be at the level of the bottom of the diaphragm spring, (with the bike upright) so the bottom chain is constantly running through it. Don't put too much in though, that can screw up the clutch.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser

The owners manual for my bike also calls for 26oz. Primary Chain, been using 32oz. since day
one. 15,000 miles on the bike, no problems.
I would go with the 32oz. pre 2000 softails called for 32oz.
Why they say 26oz. now is unknown to me.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:09 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

32 oz. = 1 quart. I swapped out my stock grey primary cover for a chrome one @ 800 miles (bike was getting close enough for the 1,000 mile primary lube swap anyway) and used a full quart of HD Formula+ in the primary...service tech said it would be fine so I went ahead and put the whole quart in. Since then I've put over 250 miles on my '06 Standard and have had no ill effects...no leaks/noises/clutch slips...nada!

Old 09-06-2006, 12:12 AM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine friggin leaks if I put too much in, including the correct level. While putting a new gasket on my inspection cover, where the leak is coming from....HD in Greenville the tech told me to put alittle less.....

Old 09-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Uhhhhh....My 93 FLHS EVO takes (approx) 42oz. Upright and level to the FSM (38-44oz) described level.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDWG

Mine friggin leaks if I put too much in, including the correct level. While putting a new gasket on my inspection cover, where the leak is coming from....HD in Greenville the tech told me to put alittle less.....
Be careful on taking advice from those guys. I live here remember, I can tell the stories. I'm not saying they are always completely wrong as I can recall 1 time that the information they provided was correct, but you get the point. I like it when they tried to tell me with my leaking chrome master cylinder that it wasn't the seal. They could see where fluid had leaked out, but they contended it wasn't the seal so I had to let leak again (1 day later) and show them again before they would replace the seal. IT WAS JUST A SEAL...how much could that cost to replace if for nothing else than customer satisfaction.

During my last oil change I used the RedLine MTL in the primary and put more than the called for 26 oz. however, I pretty much completely drained it whereas if you just let it drain sitting on the jiffy, it doesn't get quite all of it out.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:20 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

it will depend, because of the castings. put the recommended in and check to see if you need more. It's not an exact science. It's like MOCO says my tank is 5 gallons. How come it holds 5.5 gals? Is MOCO rounding to the nearest whole number?

Old 09-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dump a whole quart in...

First on my Heritage and now on my Road King with no problems...

Edmo

Old 09-10-2006, 09:32 AM
vasser
Advanced

Not good to overfill above the bottom edge of the clutch basket. It tends to make the clutch rotate when it is not supposed to from the drag of the oil being spun by the unit and cause the bike to creep ,it's also a bit harder to find neutral

Quick Reply: Primary chain lubricant