Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Removing inner primary

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010 | 10:34 PM
2kids3pets
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Removing inner primary

Is it possible to removed the inner primary without removing the oil tank...would a flexible socket extension make it possible?

Old 08-12-2010 | 11:22 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Answer

Hope you get a good answer here. I want to know this one. Since you need to pull outer primary cover off for the starter anyway, I am not sure why Harley did not put that hidden bolt thru from the primary side. I guess oil tank is no problem, just three page of the manual, 5 more specialty tools, seat,battery,drain oil, remove oil drain, ect....

Old 08-12-2010 | 11:25 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Well, out shop mechanic does it, but he will not tell me his trick. i was not there when he took mine off so I don't know how he did it. When I removed the IP myself I pulled the oil tank which is a real PITA. Look at the starter bolts that have to come out from the right side of the bike. I could only see one with the oil tank there.

But there is a way to do it apparently.

Drew

Old 08-13-2010 | 11:55 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Try a Craftsman 4 pc. Wobble Extension Bar Set, 3/8 in.

I have a set and they allow you to remove bolts at misaligned angles. OR use a claw socket wrench that fits a 3/8 drive

Old 08-14-2010 | 09:22 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I replaced the IP on my 08 FXSTC without removing the oil tank. Wobble extension to remove the starter bolts, then just let the starter rest in place. Remove your battery though, that will help a lot.

Old 08-14-2010 | 10:01 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Battery

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
I replaced the IP on my 08 FXSTC without removing the oil tank. Wobble extension to remove the starter bolts, then just let the starter rest in place. Remove your battery though, that will help a lot.

Just to clarify, were is your battery in an 08 FXSTC, my battery is under the seat in the center of the oil tank and other then removing the negative wire for safety has little to do with getting at the starter bolts on an 04 Softail Deuce. I was assuming the problem here is the oil tank limits a persons ability to get a wrench behind starter. I have not pulled the rubber pad out of the bottom of the battery box but it did not appear you could reach thru the battery box Keep getting side tracked here but just out of curiosity should there be a strap on top of the battery in this Softail

Old 08-14-2010 | 10:21 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I could not even see the second bolt that had to be removed which is why I removed the oil tank. At least I know there is a better way.

Thanks!

Drew

Old 08-14-2010 | 05:28 PM
ajayrk
Road Master

Use a long extension with a ball end hex wrench. Also use a flashlight to see the screws.

If necessary:
You can remove the battery, remove the two screws at the top of the battery box, remove the nuts on the rubber isolators and wiggle the tank loose from them. You can now raise the tank about 3/8" for better access. Use a few wooden shims to hold it up.

Old 08-14-2010 | 07:35 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by grf000
Just to clarify, were is your battery in an 08 FXSTC, my battery is under the seat in the center of the oil tank and other then removing the negative wire for safety has little to do with getting at the starter bolts on an 04 Softail Deuce. I was assuming the problem here is the oil tank limits a persons ability to get a wrench behind starter. I have not pulled the rubber pad out of the bottom of the battery box but it did not appear you could reach thru the battery box Keep getting side tracked here but just out of curiosity should there be a strap on top of the battery in this Softail
My battery is in the same place as yours. When I removed it, it made getting to the starter bolts easier as I was able to position the tool better. I did forget to mention taking out the battery caddy, sorry.

Old 08-14-2010 | 07:39 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

A wobble tip 1/4 extension and a ball tip allen and a 3/8 ratchet with a reducer. I use snap-on stuff and dont think a crapsman set up will hold up to the torque. Mine was on dam tight! but I did get it off without removing the oil tank.

Quick Reply: Removing inner primary