Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Fly By Wire Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Slag
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly By Wire Throttle

When I first got my 08 RK, I killed it twice taking it home because of a serious lag in throttle response. No gas there, like with the cable type. The dealer just shrugged and said to get used to it. I didn't get used to it, and heard many others complain about the same problem. Months later, on a web forum, I learned from a Hog Mech. that the factory had released a technical service bulletin (not a recall) that included a new download for the throttle. The dealer played dumb, but at my insistance, he looked up the bulletin, and lo and behold, there was one. After the new download, the lag was much less, but not entirely gone. Because of the throttle position sensor, I now hold the grip forward to take up any slack for about four seconds before I start the bike. This gets rid of most of what's left of the lag. The computer, I'm told, memorises the last four throttle positions at startup, and considers this "O" when it makes its calculations. I am moving "O" slightly, and it seems to help some.
If anyone has some other suggestions or tips concerning the throttle issue, or perhaps knowledge of other "secret" factory tech. service bulletins for 08 Road Kings, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks. Slag.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

What was the number or title of the service bulletin of which you speak?

Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Slag
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know. the factory wasn't telling anyone about it, and if I hadnt been told about it by a mech., I probably would never have known about it. The dealers were told to only fix the problem if someone complained about slow throttle response, or eratic idle, etc. To me it's a safety issue. someone could get killed if their bike dies unexpectedly in an intersection.