Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Rear Belt adj.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Belt adj.

OK read about 6 pages on this and have 1 ?I put new tires on 05 FXDWG and put the axle in from the left side opposite of what it was.Now I have it all adjusted and lined out, the right side adjuster is still loose.Is this a concern ?bike rides good and no apperent noise's.Would it make any differance if the axle was put in the other way,just thought I would save having to remove Exh. all the time.Thanks for the input

Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Hounds2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how is the right side adjuster loose? did you miss getting it into the adjuster when you pushed the axle thru? cant imagine how that could happen. the axle should go in either way. when you pull the axle out it does not affect your adj unless you loosen it up before hand. there's no need to do that. if i understand you correctly i would not ride very far before i figured that out.

scott

Old 04-19-2010, 07:17 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hounds2
cant imagine how that could happen.
When the nut is tightend,it can move the non-fixed cam.

I think he's saying there is a gap between the cam and adj. stop on the swingarm.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 04-19-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would put it back the way it came out. Dropping that rear muffler is no big deal...just get a new muffler clamp. The adjuster should not be loose. BTW, I always tighten my axle nut to 60 ft lbs with a torque wrench when adjusting my belt tension...could you fit the torque wrench in between the swing arm & muffler on the right side??

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 04-19-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Hounds2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i torque my axle nut to 94 ftlbs as per the 07 manual. it shouldnt make any difference what side the axle goes in on but i have no clue how you got what you got. when the axle is out you will see how the dyna adjusters work. the screw on the back pulls the bars in. on the baggers there is a cam that moves, its a different setup. no more than you change tires its no big deal to pull the muffler. gives you a chance to check the other muffler fastners. mine tend to rattle loose. also, make sure you check your alignment when you do rear end work. might make the tires and belt last a bit longer. good luck.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain

When I alighn the wheel the adj. will pull or push wheel,strange how the belt side I need to use the wrench to adj. but the muffler side I can do it by hand.Guess i'll pull the dam thing and see what is going on.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hounds2
i torque my axle nut to 94 ftlbs as per the 07 manual.
My manual says 60 ft lbs on my 06????

Old 04-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain

Yeah I redid everything and lined up the axle bolt with the gauge on both sides and still had a little play between the cam and adj. stop like 1FLTRI mentioned.I torqued to 70lbs manuel calls for 65 and turned the adj . bolt in about an 1/8 of a tirn and tightened up.I couldn't see any other problems or why it did this.I even took the whole adj. out on both sides and leveled them up the same so I knew I was the same distance.iI guess I'll ride it for awhile and keep a close eye on it.Thanks for the help everyone

Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Apologize in advance if this was allready spelled out but didn't see it. You mention you have both sides equally lined up, I'm guessing your referring to the oring/bent coat hanger method alined with the hole on either side of side arms back to center of axle bolt? Fantastic, that's the spelled out way, but what I don't see you mentioning is, how are you measuring belt deflection because that's the only way, I can see your adjuster/s would be loose is if you don't have the correct belt deflection set. Book calls out spring deflection tool basically of 10 pounds on my 06 streetbob, however a general rule of thumb that I use instead has been successful for me and many others, turning the belt 45 degrees, and it's set.
Personally I wouldn't put any miles on your ride until I got that ironed out man, something don't jive.

Originally Posted by Kaycee
Yeah I redid everything and lined up the axle bolt with the gauge on both sides and still had a little play between the cam and adj. stop like 1FLTRI mentioned.I torqued to 70lbs manuel calls for 65 and turned the adj . bolt in about an 1/8 of a tirn and tightened up.I couldn't see any other problems or why it did this.I even took the whole adj. out on both sides and leveled them up the same so I knew I was the same distance.iI guess I'll ride it for awhile and keep a close eye on it.Thanks for the help everyone

Old 04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain

Yeah I lined it up with the weldind rod and hole those r on equal,belt deflection is like u mentioned about 45 degrees on the jiffy stand.Do I need it on a stand???Thanks for the reply

Quick Reply: Rear Belt adj.