Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Loosen trans/ engine when removing inner primary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:15 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Loosen trans/ engine when removing inner primary?

Manual says to loosen engine and tranny mounting bolts when removing inner primary. I didn't, but...when I put it back on I plan to if it is absolutely necessary. If I understand correctly this is so the engine and trans can shift a little while tightening the inner primary bolts so everything lines up and fits together properly?

I was scanning posts here and someone said NOT to do this, but the book definitely says do.

once the inner is back on, is it difficult to get access to these bolts?

any other advice? is that little o-ring sufficient to seal the primary to engine? sure is small!

Old 04-11-2010, 03:22 PM
drjones
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
Manual says to loosen engine and tranny mounting bolts when removing inner primary. I didn't, but...when I put it back on I plan to if it is absolutely necessary. If I understand correctly this is so the engine and trans can shift a little while tightening the inner primary bolts so everything lines up and fits together properly?

I was scanning posts here and someone said NOT to do this, but the book definitely says do.

once the inner is back on, is it difficult to get access to these bolts?

any other advice? is that little o-ring sufficient to seal the primary to engine? sure is small!
Dave, I would loosen the transmission before installing the inner primary. My proceedure is to loosen the transmission, install the inner AND outer primaries, then tighten the transmission. That way, if there is any warpage on the inner or outer primaries, everything will find its place. After tightening transmission, remove outer, install primary drive, and outer. Be sure to use new gaskets and seals, unless you want to do it again. Good luck, TJ

Old 04-11-2010, 03:25 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

not the engine tho? If I'm gonna do one might as well do the other, no? Again...manual says do both. Makes sense

these bolts sure are hard to get to sometimes!

new gaskets are ordered. jackshaft oil seal was bad. need to replace inner primary starter bushing as well. mainshaft seal looks great. replace that, too?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:11 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

You don't need to loosen both. Loosen the tranny and that will allow for any differences between the two. I don't think i would loosen either one if everything looks like it lines up OK and mated properly. And yes the thin O-ring seals it to the engine but I think the manual says to use some silicon on it too.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:19 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, see this is where I start wondering just how ****ing sloppy and disjointed this whole harley thing is

why would the manual say do both? I understand your logic. Keep the engine solid, loosen tranny and it can scoot up to inner. if it needs to, but the manual is very specific about this procedure

2nd...no mention of needing any silicone. None.

My cases are S&S and the lip that I've read can crack is 100% intact and looks just fine...but I'm thinking of looking for one of those James Gaskets crankcase fixes

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...ductId=p263994

that?

would that provide a better seal without any goop?

whoever worked on this last...they put so much damn goop everywhere I'm still cleaning it up

but they re-used the lock tabs inside the primary. Why be thorough in one area and not in another?

aren't those lock-tabs self-sealing and intended to be replaced any time the inner primary is removed?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:30 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I read about the silicon in a manual for a newer bike but it's the same principle. I only used a very small amount. I have reused the locking tabs but only because they were in good shape. i don't think I would reuse them twice. they will get brittle after they are bent to many times. To seal the inner primary at the bolts I used a small dab of silicon on the bolt threads.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:32 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

fcking amazing how sloppy these damn things are.

OK...I'll just do the trans as per your experience.

i don't have any goop...what kind should I get?

Is the idea to fill the holes the bolts go through? **** the guys used before was orange...isn't there at least something black that'll not stand out so bad?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:37 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the black RTV stuff. All you need on the inner primary bolts is a little on the threads before you put them in. Just enough to seal the threads. As in VERY LITTLE.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

ok, RTV

funny...you say very little. When I pulled the inner, some of the holes were literally filled with this soft orange sealant these guys used.

Bummed...it just seems like no one who has touched my bike knew what the **** they were doing, and every single one of them mickey-moused something.

I mean...not one of them noticed the outer starter bushing was the wrong size. It's a wonder I was even able to start my bike!

hell...now that I think of it...damn starter mechanism is probably messed up, too! Better pull that one as well! jesus.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
bittysmom
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use blue RTV and like he said...VERY LITTLE...just a dab goes a long way. Too much and you may never get it off again if you need to. I've reused the locktabs before, but agree, no more than twice. Just isn't worth the risk.

Quick Reply: Loosen trans/ engine when removing inner primary?