Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Starter ring gear chewing up inside of primary

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010 | 07:14 PM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by meepers
Wow, thats from the clutch basket.. That is NOT good. I would guess the tranny input shaft bearing and MAYBE the input shaft itself is damaged.
Are these things that can be addressed once the primary assembly is off, or will the inner primary need to be pulled as well?

Do you think having the belt close to the outer range on the tranny pulley could cause such a problem?

Old 04-05-2010 | 07:19 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I would say you were lucky the damage wasn't MUCH more extensive, as bad as it was. No matter what, you have a helluva job ahead of you. I don't envy you one bit.

Old 04-05-2010 | 07:24 PM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RANDYDOWDY
I would say you were lucky the damage wasn't MUCH more extensive, as bad as it was. No matter what, you have a helluva job ahead of you. I don't envy you one bit.
now is that necessary? jinxin me and ****?

hahah...maybe whatever caused the main issue JUST happened!

I've been intending to replace the primary cover anyway

what helluva job is there, then? are we talkin transmission rebuild and ****?

Old 04-06-2010 | 12:38 AM
meepers
Tourer

well you need to pull the inner primary for sure, you may need to pull the trans as well. I dont think the rear pully or belt will have anything to do with that as its a separate output shaft. My guess is that the bearing for the input shaft is toast. with the bike in neutral does the clutch basket spin freely? do you feel any binding or rough spots?

Old 04-06-2010 | 12:45 AM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by meepers
well you need to pull the inner primary for sure, you may need to pull the trans as well.
meepers in all honesty I think you're getting a little bit ahead of things here. the more I look, the more I think the clutch hub bearing is bad, nothing else. I hope I'm right for simplicity, but

I dont think the rear pully or belt will have anything to do with that as its a separate output shaft.
I thought the shaft went from tranny, to tranny sprocket, through inner primary to clutch? sorry...not familiar but will be learning

with the bike in neutral does the clutch basket spin freely? do you feel any binding or rough spots?
well right now since the chain is still attached I can't turn it at all since that involves turning the motor over as well

I'm gonna have a friend come over with some tools tomorrow or this week, pull the whole primary assembly, and take the clutch to a shop to have em check the bearing, or I'll learn to do it myself.

I'll check everything "behind" there as well.

keep the ideas coming, and thanks!

Old 04-06-2010 | 01:16 AM
meepers
Tourer

the way it works is...

The front sprocket from the crank goes to the clutch, which turns the input shaft. When you pull the clutch, it freewheels the transmission. The input shaft then goes into the gearbox. the gears on the input shaft are active and drive the gears on the output shaft. the output shaft is where the rear belt drive sprocket is.

In the video you made, when you were moving the clutch basket, there was significant play on the shaft in the center. this is the input shaft for the trans. I HOPE its just the clutch on your bike! but from what I have seen in your vid, I dont think it is.

Definately take more pics and keep me posted once the clutch basket is off. When your in there, be sure to change the coupling the jack shaft sits in that is in the main primary. you can only pull this out with the clutch basket off.

Old 04-06-2010 | 01:19 AM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

why change that coupling?

did you look at the one piece jackshaft?

Old 04-06-2010 | 01:29 AM
meepers
Tourer

yeah I looked at the one piece, what I am talking about is the sleeve that the jack shaft rides in on the inner.

Old 04-06-2010 | 01:30 AM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

in the inner primary? the coupling, right? why would I need to replace that?

I definitely need to replace the bushing in the outer primary!

Old 04-08-2010 | 04:18 PM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

update

pulled clutch basket off. Took more effort to get the clutch nut off than the compensator! Thinking the last wrench tightened the clutch nut way too tight...possibly putting stress on the bearing?

No play in main shaft...everything seems fine there.

Any particular brand to look for in a clutch bearing?

Quick Reply: Starter ring gear chewing up inside of primary