Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Starter ring gear chewing up inside of primary

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010 | 12:29 PM
meepers
Tourer

The problem is that none of the dealers/indies stocked parts for an Evo, I originally thought the problem was with the starter. As I was on my vacation ride with my dad, I really didnt know what I was going to find when I pulled the primary off, because I never had gone into mechanical on the bike at that point. It was a big enough pain in the *** pulling the starter out at the hotel, I couldnt imagine the PITA that pulling the running boards, and primary off would have been at the time.

Knowing what I know now, and having a little more comprehensive tool kit with me, I wouldnt have any issue doing that. I also learned quite a bit about parts interchangeability so I should be all set.

It will be even better when I get my 04 swingarm and rear wheel mounted up, my bike is pretty much an 04 Carbed Evo now.

Old 04-05-2010 | 02:50 PM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

yaeh, that makes sense. a year ago I wouldn't even have known what the hell a starter ring gear, jack shaft, or pinion gear was!

Old 04-05-2010 | 04:31 PM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

well, after looking into it, I think I know why the ring gear was hitting the primary, and I think meepers AND BlkBagger had it right.

my engine was definitely kicking back at the starter which caused the jack shaft bolt to loosen

that's problem one

2nd problem appears to be the clutch bearing (s)

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9I0LKtuQ6s

Old 04-05-2010 | 04:49 PM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I am no expert, but logic tells me that clutch basket should not have that much play in it.

Old 04-05-2010 | 04:52 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like I would use some Lok-Tite on that bolt next time around. There are a few chronic problems with many models, and that should fix this one.

Old 04-05-2010 | 05:05 PM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RANDYDOWDY
Sounds like I would use some Lok-Tite on that bolt next time around. There are a few chronic problems with many models, and that should fix this one.
you mean on the jackshaft bolt?

yeah...that's a given now! I didn't do the work on the primary last time, but it seems there was no threadlock at all

I am looking at the All ***** 1-piece jackshaft, too. Anyone familiar with those?

but yeah...threadlock for sure

Last edited by JustDave71; 04-05-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2010 | 06:36 PM
meepers
Tourer

wow, thats quite a bit of play, it looks like the tranny shaft has play as well. There is going to be some movement in the clutch basket itself, but I think WHERE the play is. How many miles are on there?

Old 04-05-2010 | 06:57 PM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by meepers
wow, thats quite a bit of play, it looks like the tranny shaft has play as well. There is going to be some movement in the clutch basket itself, but I think WHERE the play is. How many miles are on there?
speedo shows just under 30k

was wondering about the tranny shaft, too. I don't quite understand the assembly...gotta look for an exploded view of how it is put together.

one thing...my rear wheel hub is wider than stock. I've managed to fit a 160 in there with a 1-1/8" belt. The rear belt is aligned so that it is already fairly close to the outside of the tranny pulley. I was wondering if that belt tension toward the outer range could cause excessive wear. When we were doing that setup I asked a few shops and they said it should be ok.

If I had the tools to pull the primary assembly off myself I'd just do it, but I don't.

Old 04-05-2010 | 07:03 PM
JustDave71
|
Outstanding HDF Member

here are a couple pics of the primary damage

and I just checked, and yes, the jackshaft bushing in the outer primary is pretty chewed up, too

Old 04-05-2010 | 07:09 PM
meepers
Tourer

Wow, thats from the clutch basket.. That is NOT good. I would guess the tranny input shaft bearing and MAYBE the input shaft itself is damaged.

Quick Reply: Starter ring gear chewing up inside of primary