Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:45 AM
Edelmon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Your lugging the engine. You need keep your rpms above 2500.

No wait, it's an issue with the way the gears are cut - 1st and 5th are straight cut, while the rest are helical cut.

It's fine, just ride it like you stole it.

JUST KIDDING. HAVE YOUR DEALER PICK IT UP AND FIX IT.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put money on an FLHTC last week to hold it until the end of the month. The more complaintsI read about the 96-inch engine and 6-speed trannythe more concerned I get. I asked some very specific questions about gear noise and engine heat before I opened my wallet but I was assured by the sales guy that bikes manufactured after Nov. '06 had none of these problems. Anybody know if HD has made recent changes in the design or is this "pre-Nov., post-Nov." story just crap? I'mseriously consideringgettin' my money back.

I was expecting the new bikes to be every bit as reliable as my '91 FXRS has been over the past 16 years.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HD claims nothing,whos the dealer that told you this?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

The bike has to already be built because York is on strike and thats where they build them. I'd make the dealer let me take a 50 mile ride before I bought the bike. If there is nothing wrong they should not mind. I spent over $2k to get mine running right, and it still has some noise. Be real careful because after the dealer gets your money it's yours and the MoCo is not going to do a d@mn thing yo help you. I would test bike first.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

50 miles may not be enough,it took my dealer several attempts to hear this noise.If you end up w/a noisey one ,its yours.Your dealer cant/wont do much.Hds C/S is worthless on this item.The higher ups at the MOCO will also lie threw their teeth on fixing this.Get your cash back and wait for a 08.After 6 months of this fight I wish I had that option again.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:14 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: LowriderFXRS

I put money on an FLHTC last week to hold it until the end of the month. The more complaintsI read about the 96-inch engine and 6-speed trannythe more concerned I get. I asked some very specific questions about gear noise and engine heat before I opened my wallet but I was assured by the sales guy that bikes manufactured after Nov. '06 had none of these problems. Anybody know if HD has made recent changes in the design or is this "pre-Nov., post-Nov." story just crap? I'mseriously consideringgettin' my money back.

I was expecting the new bikes to be every bit as reliable as my '91 FXRS has been over the past 16 years.
The only change in the post early Nov. bikes is the mapping of the ECM.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 PM
oldbag
Banned

Good luck! You going to need it. You got a 50/50 chance. Do you feel lucky? I will be trading my '07 when the '08s come out and prove they are not clatter wagons like the '07 I bought.
ORIGINAL: LowriderFXRS

Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Well folks anyone out there have any vibration problems with there 07 street glide seems they redesigned the compensator ,welded all together,use to be 2 pieces,well to make it short vibrates your eye ***** out when you go to 6th gear,carried to shop,there were 5 people standing there when I drove up ,the harley shop changed the compensator and chain tensioner,80 % better but still has a little they said there is about 3 other things it could be,its diff.style bikes too there was 3 diff.styles there all with 96" motor and 6th speed tranny,other than that just installed k&n breather kit,superflow pipes and power commander runs like a whole diff.machine,haven't done any motor work yet running out to calf. in may will try it out and go from there.Rode shovel for 17 yrs in a ridgid frame,8 yrs on a 7474,and about a year on an old sportster.traded my road king of 7 yrs in for SG,was really dissappointed at first but life gets better! If they don't get it fixed soon will get another road king but ride alot in the winter and the bat wing fairing really helps in when it gets in the low teens.......This is a post from another site and not my bike.Can anyone add about compensator???

Old 02-20-2007, 10:20 AM
pk
Tourer

Very interesting Pittguy...thanks for sharing. I was confused when I was reading this because I knew you didn't have a SG! What is the story with you and your bike, last I read they were going to take it back............

Paul

Old 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Stoner
Advanced

Just another hat in the ring. '07 Street Glide with about 800-miles on it now. I heard the clatter on the ride home from the dealer(sorry cold-weather dwellers!) with the stock mufflers two weeks ago and thought I was lugging the motor- so I stayed out of 6th until 80mph- where I don't hear it anymore.

Two day tour between Los Angeles and Santa Maria, CA over the weekend was the first time I really noticed the clatter. I hear it in 5th or 6th anywhere below 2200-2400 rpm. (4th gear sounds so smooth, nice, and quiet that I might just stay there!) Seems to go away in either 5th or 6th gear when I twist the throttle. I'm so used to my evo (and bought this to cruise) that the higher rpms are gonna bug me- but OCHD told me "it's normal" and "won't go away after breakin or service". HDCS logged my case and recommended taking it to the dealer for the 1K service early.

So Pittguy, is the compensator fix something the MOCO is doing for the clatter- or for the vibration thing you're mentioning? (which I haven't experienced)

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!