Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:30 PM
96inchBOB
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

1st gear is straight cut 2nd 3rd and 4th is helical cut 5th is straight cut 6th is helical .the noise in fith gear is not the way the gears are cut. All 5 speed gears are straight cut just like 1st and 5th in thesix speeds.They make no noise.Look in the service manual and see were the helical gears are 2-3-4-6 not 1st or 5thI got a 07 street bob that is very noisy in 5th and 6th sounds like you are beating in it with ahammer not a tic-ticbut a loudbank-bang harley said its normal so i amg going to ride it and pray it flies apart before warranty is out.thanks 96inchbob rolling time bomb

Old 02-15-2007, 10:43 AM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the following link was provided on the "another 07 sale"

http://www.coolclimbing.com/2007harl...roadking06.htm

Old 02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
giddiup
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If ya'll had spent this kind of money on a new car and it made this kind of noise I believe it would get fixed quick... And in a hurry...

Old 02-15-2007, 12:04 PM
cdale976
Road Master

evorider

good thought and to be real that's back where the moco should go

Old 02-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Edelmon
Cruiser

First time I've heard of a complaint outside of the touring models.

I think we have beaten this horse to death. The thing that has come out of this is that if you have the transmission noise (as I do) you are SOL. If you got one that doesn't, then thank your lucky stars.
Once the ground dries out and heat's up, things may change, but I don't believe HD is going to do a DAMN thing to help those of us with the issue. So I will stick in my Texas Country Mix MP3 CD, plug my headset in, and ride. If it does come apart, hopefully it won't be at 80mph on the superslab in heavy traffic and lock up the rear wheel. If it does, then my family will end up owning the "MoCo".
If the 08's are better, then I will take a look at them and I better not hear one thing from the dealer about my transmission noise when I go to trade it in.

Later,

TE

Old 02-16-2007, 01:03 PM
pete01
Intermediate

I spoke to the MOCO customer service rep by phone. She said the noise is not in the compensator. It is in the tranny. She assured me that the noise is normal in 5th gear and is caused by lugging the engine. I mentioned the recommended shift points in the owners manual will cause the bike to lug and make the rattleand was told to shift it at a higher RPM, which is what I've been doing anyway. She said if it were a compensator noise it would do it in all gears. At this point, we are basically **** out of luck. They know about the noise. They say there is nothing wrong. I disagree. They have 2 letters on file from me. That is all I can do at this point. If it brakes they will fix it. I think the only thing to do is ALL OF US keep writing, and if they get enough mail they may do something, or don't buy anymore H-D bikes, which frankly that ain't gonna happen. My 5 cents.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:52 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of us have been beyond the C/S level.I wont even call them anymore.Yes they know of the dispute and have documented the noise and location.At best you may see some sort of download aimed at this.Its the cheapest way to shut us up but its not going to make it go completely away.Its asloppy build problem,poor machined parts,wide clearances,epa,high heat,pissed off workforce,poor QAand so on all added up to a noisey bike.The cost to fix this would cost them big time.Some bikes have had engines,trannys changed and have or havent helped,some builds have had extra comp spring installed and didnt cure,Heavier,slippery oils only helped a few,download 903 may have helped or made things worse.The only guy I know who may have cured his was done out of his pocket and going to 103 kit.Lifter block rub,due to pushrodwas noticed as well as valve spring bottoming out.Maybe this was why so many dealers ran 103 install specs over the winter?This is a warranty issue that the MOCO is refusing to act on.They got your $,you got your noise.Posting here does very little,these guys dont want to hear it anymore-cant blame them.Take your fight elsewhere,Hd doesnt likeoutsiders asking questions or seeingdisputes in print.Or live w/what you have or move on to another yr model.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:35 PM
oldbag
Banned

I have exhausted all efforts to fix my bike. There is nothing else to do. I will wait until after the first run of '08 bikes to hear a review about their quality. If they are better than what I got in a '07, I will trade. It is a shame shareholders are more important than the customers. I wonder how many shareholders buy this product? HD has reached the top of the mountain, there is only one place to go from there. Even losing a lot of money fixing these bikes, just think what a great repetition that would send to the world market of their product.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:35 PM
jerrya
Intermediate

Funny you mentioned that oldbag...I "was" a HD shareholder but sold last week. I figure the bad PR HD will get this summer once more people start riding will lead to decrease in sales, decrease in profit, and increase in bad PR which will all lead to decrease in stock price.

I just wish HD will bite the bullet and start the recall now and fix their major error. Until then I'll hold mine and run with Amsoil 75-W110 gear oil and hope for the best. I ran the 75-W90 last year and it helped a little so I'll try their new 75-W110 and hope at least I can ride it without getting the strange looks from people saying to themselves..."what is wrong with that bike"

I think in the end HD will pay for this dearly.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:40 AM
bdasource
Cruiser

I just picked up my new 07 Dyna Super Glide Custom last week. The first day I put about a 100 miles on her and everything was running perfectly. Today I took her out for a longer run and all of a sudden after about another 100 miles, she started having shifting problems. I couldn't get her to shift from 1st into 2nd, neutral was no where to be found and the clutch would not engage. Ok, so maybe it's the cable. I adjusted the cable and was able to limp home. It definitely did not fix the problem. I took her out again and same problem. She wont shift and now the clutch wont engage at all. It looks like it's back to the dealer on Monday. Any ideas what's causing the problem?

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!