Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Hollywood
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Wow. This is good info Pittguy. From the looks of things it doesn't seem like they are going to find a fix before the 08's come out and may not have a fix for the 08's. That's shocking.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like their path is going to be another download for the noisey bikes.They have been recording these bikes both on road and dyno.Something may be in the pipeline but at what cost of bikes performance?I have removed timing at areas where mine made this noise and it only made the bike run like ****.Noise lived on.Adding more fuel didnt help either.Its a noise that may not be fixed cheaply by them.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Bellamacchina
Intermediate

That pretty much confirms my own findings on my 07 Ultra. I stopped worrying about the rattle the monemt I understood a little bit better the harmonics in the new primary. I will however give a HB125 tensioner a shot as it provides some hydraulic damping.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:21 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Report back on that tensioner if you can.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 PM
gearman
Advanced

Hey Pittguy,I see you've been quoting my e-mail thatI sent to Edelmon,regarding post #880.Thats the info I got from Harley. Good luck, Trannyman

Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes its a small world but good info and makes most sense so far.Good luck to you as well.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:05 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,538 Posts

ORIGINAL: drod

I have found on this 6 speed just stop at 4th gear and don't go to a higher gear and all is good. It limits you to about 50 mph.
what? i can hit 50 in 2d gear and still not be at the rev limiter.....

the whine in 5th i can live with, kinda lets you know what gear you're in. i don't have a 'bucket of bolts' sound in 6th (thankfully!) and my bike is one of the older ones, i picked it up on 22 july. the only sound that i get that even remotely bugs me is this 'metallic' clinking sound, like a loose washer vibrating. i've been through the bike and can't find anything that would make that sound. only does it around 60-65 in 5th, or 70+ in 6th so i'm thinking it might be internal to the transmission. since i've figured out that nothings gonna fall off, i just ignore it, can't hear it with earplugs anyway and will ride until it falls out, then i guess i'll admit that i have a problem.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:15 PM
cdale976
Road Master

glad i got a road king. at least i can take the windshield offto let the noise dissapate..... what strikes me odd is when bike is cold all the issues are not there, turn up the heat and all hell breaks lose...

Old 01-15-2007, 10:06 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

This is just theory so take it as such. Before winter shut me down I started logging data with SERT. Whenever I heard the "can of marbles" I would find up to9 degrees of timing pulled then it would return and pull again. The preignition it self was notbad and hardlynoticeable, but I think the ECM pulled too much timing and then returned a fraction of a second later causing a shock wave through the primary drive. The hotter the motor the more timing it pulled? I'm have wondered if partof the "903 touque smoothingfirmware down load "changed the amount of timing the ECM pulls when the knock sensors show activity and the motor is hot.

I haven't had the 903 down load yet and tuned out most of thepre-ignition with SERT.Also I'm not about to return it to stock just to test this theory soI have nothing to back it up.......its just a theory.

I forgot to point that I often seen1.25 to 1.75 degrees of knock retard pulled, howevernever was there any "can of Marbles" sound when only this much timing was pulled.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:26 PM
daconiam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly my problems.

Bike rides fantastic cold but when goodand "hot" (about 50 miles of good riding). I then get pinging in the engine when I roll on it from 3rd gear up. The fifth gear noise is much louder also. I put syn3 in it but no difference. Prior to the ECM upgrade I had no low end (below 3000 rpm) without pinging of the engine. Now I can run the engine at 2000 rpm, on flat ground,no problem but will still ping the engine if I have a bit of a load or accelerate, no matter the rpm.

I think the engine has definete cooling problems regardless of the ECM upgrade. It even does it with my PC3 installed. My next step is to get some pipes but I do not think it is going to matter. The PC3 helps to keep it cooler longer but still end up with pinging after a long ride....

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!