Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:42 AM
bluep
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: pittguy

My comp was checked and all seemed normal,Have read,now take it for what its worth that the rods found were like .008" short.Although not much it would add to a bike with wide squish area.Mike Rowland spoke of this on another form a month or so ago.

Pittguy
Did that dealer run your bike and make it rattle while looking at the comp????? No he did not, he just looked at it and found nothing. My point is theres nothing WRONG with the comp, but it still could be makeing the rattle. If the engine lopes enough ,caused by other things , it could cause the comp to rattle trying to smooth things out . Thats what the comp is for.
Things that cause the motor to run bad ,uneven, lope,or whatever are
1-Short rods
2-Not enough squish area
3-Too much heat
4-Preignition
5-lean EFI
6-Too tall gearing
All these things are present on the new models!!!!!!!
If you could show a dealer or factory rep a danceing comp ,rattleing like a can of marbles, I'm sure the factory would soon figger out the cause.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:24 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My comp was checked and yes the bike was not run while looking at comp action.But bike was dyno run for noise and to me at least,it sounded more towards the head but even then you couldnt say that for sure 100%.Iron Works magazine has printed one of my early emails to them on page 20 of this months issue and even though I dont agree w/the response from them,the MOCO,or the long term test model, its a start for others to chime in there.Ive been kicking down doors for this fix,so heres a chance to get the word out on how widespread this may be.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Hollywood
Banned

I have to say Pittguy, you've been leading the charge to get these bikes fixed. Mine is still bone stock until March. At least in my bike the clatter does seem to be heat related. It's been cold here in the New York area and the bike has been running fine. I'm taking it in sometime this week for that 903 flash download recall.

On the plus side, with my heated grips, lower fairing and 07 engine heat, I have yet needed to wear chaps in the cold weather. Maybe these are polar bikes.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:04 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad,

You should take one for a test ride. There are many happy owners out there. I've owned BMW's, Honda's, Ducati's, you name it. There's no perfect bike made. The last Honda I owned was the worst of the lot (ST1300ABS)' - only owned it about 6 months. I just couldn't escape from the intense heat generated by the engine. That said, Harley's are different than anything else out there. While BMW works to make their bikes disappear, Harley keeps them front and center in the riders experience.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:07 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain

Pittguy,

Do you think that perhaps your bikes connecting rods are the source of your problems? If your bike gets fixed, there's hope for the rest of them.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:21 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain

Holywood,

It's been a while since we've heard from you. What you wrote bears repeating. You mean since it got cold outside, your bike doesn't clatter at any level, in any gear, any RPM at all? If so, what's your guess as to why?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Hollywood
Banned

Thanks. I've bee around keeping an eye on this forum to see if there's any fix yet. Did come across the recall thread.

As far as my bike, I'm talking 40-50 degree weather. I didn't get the clattering sound. The 5th gear noise has been getting quieter with time. I have about 3500 miles on it and it's quieter than when I had 1K miles on it. The 5th gear noise isn't completely gone it's just quieter.

This is pretty much in line with an article I read in I think the last thunderpress regarding a test ride of 07 ultra. The writer stated that the bike was fine until he started going up hills in hot weather. That the bike started sounding like a popcorn machine. By the end of his test ride he was convinced that the clatter and pinging was due to heat combined with hills. Of course when he brought the bike back the moco claimed that it was probably just that one particular bike, that they haven't experienced it with others.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:28 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

temps for me are now in the 30s and outside temps along w/oil cooler have effect on noise as long as bike has seen hwy use.When the oil pressure gauge settles in its operating rane the noise begins.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:29 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

temps for me are now in the 30s and outside temps along w/oil cooler have effect on noise as long as bike has seen hwy use.When the oil pressure gauge settles in its operating range the noise begins.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:34 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Iron,

I hear what your saying. I'd love to have an '07 Ultra or RK Classic but these unresolved transmission problems seem to be pretty serious. I've also read that you need new pipes, Stage I air cleaner kit and a SERT to keep from getting cooked medium well on these bikes. Another $1,400 just to get it to run right and that assumes you're one of the lucky ones as far as the transmission goes. Does anybody know what percentage of the '07s touring models are affected by this transmission defect?

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!