Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:08 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

What has been done so far w/your bike?Whats HDs C/S telling you?Dealer?

Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 PM
christian0632
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the cost of the ThunderMax Auto-Tune Module? I hear it's expensive. I also wonder about reliability. Anyone have anything from Zippers that has lasted or not?

mcro,

Whatever you do, don't freak out. It's a given that the 07's (touring, softail, and now dyna's) make noise. I say ignore the noise and ride it hard. It will either get better or worse. Some have said the 1000 mile service did wonders. I have about 300 miles to go then I will let you know how it's working.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Mileage will help the 5th gear whine not the clatter.Most here w/the noise are past the 1000 mile.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 PM
easyriderone
Intermediate

Heidi from HD called me today to acknowledge my letters that I wrote to HD last month. She was very nice, but did assure me that there was not anything that Harley could do for my problems. Just once again stated that EPA regulations was responsible for the reason the bike was tuned so lean, that the heat management download was the only fix offered under warranty. She also stated that at this time she knew of no fix in the works for the noisey tranny, primary, or compensator, whatever it is. She stated there were things I could do on my own to help with the heat problem. She also stated once again that Harley Davidson could not do a blanket voiding of the warranty for any performance parts that was added to the bike. She was very familar with the Magnusson Moss Act. I ask if I could quote her on this to my dealer using her name, she said yes. She stated that any major repair made under warranty would have to evaluated by Harley anyway. She was very nice, even to the point of being very sympathetic to the owners of 2007's. She also acknowledged that Harley knew there were whole websites concerning the problems and unhappy owners of these bikes. That Mr. McCaslin was made aware of every letter that was sent to Harley concerning owners complaints. Nice lady just couldn't help.

I then called my dealership and spoke to the sales manager. He stated they would honor my warranty even with the PC. Stated he would discount 20% the SE Air Kit and any other parts I bought. At least some dealers are trying. Harley is beginning to remind me of American car manufacturers in the late 70's and 80's. What finally turned them around was people quit buying their cars. Japan forced them into building better cars. Looks like the same may happen to Harley. My riding buddy of 25 years rides a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad. He just turned over 50,000 miles in three years with the only repairs being a clutch replacement. I have rode his bike, very nice bike. I have to admit it is hard not to wonder if my Harely is worth the $7000 more that I paid for my bike. Oh well lets hope Harley listens.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 AM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

]

Old 11-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Hollywood
Banned

Christian0632,

I believe the whole thing goes for $830. I'm going to be looking into it and also S&S has a similar product. I'm not going to do anything until March when I have some extra cash. By then hopefully I will have done enough research to know whether to go with one of these or a PCIII. I’ve read some testimonials from buyers of the Thundermax (before the release of the new wide band closed loop system) and from what I've read the product did wonders. I got the same feed back awhile back from an article in one of those performance magazines. I still have some more digging to do before making a final decision.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:35 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hollywood

Gunrunner,

Putting money aside and assuming it works like zippers says it will, do you think it's a better way to go then the PCIII and bypassing the 02 sensors? I'm planning on giving my RG some attitude in March and this is one of the components I'm thinking about. I've read some of your post and I know you know your stuff.
Being your spending big bucks on major mods it could be the way to go if it lives up to their claims, however the PCIII and then having it dynotuned would do the same, as for the 02 sensors that come on the 07 they are pretty much useless except to slightly adjust while in the low mid range rpms and do not give feedback and adjustments like true closed loop systems can, this is why I went from the fuel pack to the pcIII a slight surging was going on at 2500 with the fuel pack because you leave the 02s in place. The pcIII is right on for my mods which are simple, v&h ovals, ness big sucker and pcIII set up by jamie at fuelmoto. I just like the PCIII because of its clean easy install and its tuning capabilities that can be done yourself. Keep us posted on your roadglide project.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Hollywood
Banned

Thanks Gunrunner, like I said, you know your stuff. I'm looking to my changes in March, a little performance and some cosmetics. What kind of a difference did your set-up make vs. stock? I'm curious as to what type of power can be made on these bikes without going cams, heads etc.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:59 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

OK, Here's what I know and what I think I know. First off, I've had all the problems listed here on this forum, and here is what I've done to cure them. Listed below are the problems and my fixes.
Can of rocks in Primary--Had dealer take off compensator nut, loctite and retorque 160 FT.Lbs
5th Gear WHINE--- Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140
Detonation---Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C, Kerker slip-ons with Fishtail end caps, PC111 USB
with 02 sensor eliminators: programmed by Jamie at Fuel Moto 1-877-729-4754

Dyno Numbers: STOCK----------------------Max Power: 62.94 Max Torque: 74.25

A/C, Pipes, PC111, 02 sensor eliminators---Max Power: 72.56 Max Torque: 83.03

Now for $830.00 I have a quiet transmission, my primary is quiet, my detonation is gone. My motor sound like a sewing machine when the radio is off, but can not hear it with stereo on.
I have 3k on my bike, it has spent 18 straight days at the Dealers, a MoCo Rep. came and talked with me and rode my bike, letters and phone calls to MoCo. They told me nothing is wrong with the bike, and they were not going to give me a refund. I took it on myself, and with the help of friends here on the FORUM my bike is running well. I put the Fishtail end caps on because the cone shaped ones were too loud. It now sounds good and I can enjoy riding again. I hope the rest of you can use this information to help your bikes.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:40 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences,fixes for your bike.This may very well help others.Its a shame this was all on your dime.I can honestly say I know what you have gone threw.18 dazes is a shame when you shouldve been enjoying it.Good luck on your new bike.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!