Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:26 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

You can get the RK-3909 K&N kit from Jegs or Summit Racing for about $115 delivered.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:36 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

easyriderone,,,,,,, you said everything I said about 2 months ago,,,united we stand!!!
winter is here so, I have time to decide on pipe/air f/pc111.. or save that money towards a 08 in Aug???

Old 10-31-2006, 06:00 PM
easyriderone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

electaRick we may have been duped into buying what we were hoping was a good bike but nothing says you have got to keep spending money on HD's products. I have always used HD oil (even doing my own services I use HD fluids and filters), stay strictly to HD accessories and performance parts (with the exception of exhaust). I even liked their clothes which are very well (but not made in America) made. There are three types of leather, cheap, good, and high dollar(for what you get), Harley's leather falls into the very good quality. But I will not spend another dollar on anything made by Harley Davidson. I am not trading on a 2008 either, I will ride this one for the two years of warranty I have. I am going to put pipes, ac and PC on my bike but it won't be HDs.

When I questioned a few other dealers in my area about warranty work my stated they would all honor my warranty. Some even laugh at the suggestion that changing anything on the bike would void the warranty. One dealer even telling me if he did that, hell he wouldn't have any warranty work and also he wouldn't have any customers. Eric at Carolina Harley Davidson in Gastonia NC stated he would honor my warranty. He also stated he would install the parade map under warranty if I wanted him to. Eric seems to be a real stand up guy who cares more about the customer than the company. He was very honest about the lean condition. Service managers at three of North Carolina's most popular dealers recommended the PC instead of the SERT. They stated the PC was a better fix than the SERT. They all stated they would install a SERT if that was what the customer wanted, but added they had PCs on there bikes. One dealership's owner told me the same thing, he also added to get rid of the damn O2 sensors. None of the service mangers recommended HD slip ons.

I think I will get the PC find a map on their site I like, use the components listed for that map. Then next spring at Myrtle Beach get John Golden, Mr. Dyno, to tune my bike. He has done other bikes for me before. He knows what he is doing!!

One more thing. Zippers is developing replacement ECM's (Thundermax Units) for the 2007's. I have had corresspondence with them and they say there are coming soon. Will be able to compete price wise with the PC. Will post more as I learn more about them.

Like I said earlier guys keep posting.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:18 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zippers is suppose to be out next month-Nov.The upgrades may or may not cure your noise,has at least moved some bikes noises lwr in the rpm range.Maybe HD will cure the rest by spring.Its been yrs since the MOCO has turned so many against them,hitting them in the wallet like they did to some of us is the only way they will listen.PC111 better than SERT?,Im not so sure on that,each has their positive,negative issues.Maybe Zippers will set a new standard.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:21 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All I can say is anybody that has bought a harley in the past 15years and not upgraded it with air/rejet or ecm upgrade and pipes have or are missing how a true harley will perform, its not harleys fault that the EPA has its hands tied so tight that today they only have two options COMPLY or END production.You can buy a water cooled one in 09 because thats the only that harley can survive given even stronger restrictions If you guys with heat, clatter,ping which also could be detonation would invest in this upgrade MOST of you would be enjoying that bike instead of bitchin about it. And please dont give the it costs 20k so it should not need anything to run right song and dance, that you should tell your librel politicians who keep pushing it on us while letting the airlines/trucking/factories and goverment slide. These are my opinions yours may differ. LOL

Old 10-31-2006, 06:57 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Several here have upgraded which have helped,some have even cured if it was ping/detonation they were hearing.But some of these bikes have something else making the noise.True anyone wanting better performance from their bikes have upgraded either now or in the past,its just the way with a HD.Just look who the aftermarket cater to mostly.HDs other model lines havent raised as much **** as the touring line,so a good running EPA bike is possible from them.They have even built good tourers.Dropping that kind of cash does hurt but what gets them the most is the constant back and forth from dealer, C/S etc just trying to get some results.Some of these dealers are starting to take this problem on their own,they are losing business,some long time customers.The MOCO tech said the guys that are complaining are the ones that have had HDs before,more so than first time buyers.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:48 PM
christian0632
Tourer

JollyRoger,

I noticed some folks on other threads have stated the performance gains with the PCIII but not find their bikes have to turn over 4,5 or six times before firing. Does your bike still start up as easy as before the PCIII?

(tonight I begin operation "Santa PCIII" with the ol' lady! ;-)

CS
07 Ultra

Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the SERT with big gains on performance. Adding timing brought the power up very noticeable. Starting it might turn over a little more, but not as violent as it did before with the starter clunk. Heat issue is completely gone. I would rather it turn over a little more and start right. When I first got the bike I hated starting it. If I can ever get the clatter problem fixed this will be a great bike.
ORIGINAL: christiansmith

JollyRoger,

I noticed some folks on other threads have stated the performance gains with the PCIII but not find their bikes have to turn over 4,5 or six times before firing. Does your bike still start up as easy as before the PCIII?

(tonight I begin operation "Santa PCIII" with the ol' lady! ;-)

CS
07 Ultra

Old 10-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Doug
Cruiser

Do you know where the clatter is comeing from?

Old 10-31-2006, 10:21 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Just my opinion, I believe the spring in the compensator is too weak. When the bike is below 2400 rpm at light throttle the compensator starts bouncing in and out making the clattering noise.
ORIGINAL: Doug

Do you know where the clatter is comeing from?

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!