Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:27 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Wife says my PCIII for my RK just came in. I will drop it on today and ride it this evening. It's supposed to be in the 70's so it should get somewhat warm operating temps. Will give a report later.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:12 PM
christian0632
Tourer

I'm anxious to find out how well it works. Is it going on a stock bike? Where did you purchase and for how much?

I've been looking at a PCIII from a company called Fuelmoto. $249 if you catch them at the right time.

CS
07 Ultra

Old 10-30-2006, 08:38 PM
msh134
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info i am hoping to have my rk delivered by christmas so i wont really have any idea how it runs untill then. and i hope the weather will allow a couple of days to ride but il. is not a great place to ride in jan, but i assume hd will stand behind their product. i have many freinds that ride hd's and no matter what the problem they love their harleys. thanks again for the info mark

Old 10-30-2006, 08:57 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

I installed the PCIII on the 07 Road King using the stock 07 map. I have stock A/C and pipes. Put the O2 sensor eliminators on and fired it up. Warmed it up a bit and set the zero throttle position and rode it. It definitely is better. Not 100% quiet were all you hear is exhaust purring behind you but almost. I can now just barely make out the tranny whine again, because the clatter is all but gone, but it is very faint. I took it on about a 30 minute jaunt mostly around 58-65 mph in 5th and it sounded great just cruisin at 62 in 5th.... I mean it did just purr along. I rolled the throttle some occasionally and didn't hear any clatter. Then I jumped on the interstate at 70 in 6th. There is a little valve train noise but nothing like it was doing before. It also is definitely more responsive on the throttle and didn't feel like the bike was going "OMG do I have to accelerate!".

I took a look at the map and it does look like significant changes are made with the PCIII fuel table. Not much to the timing cept at WOT w/ 4% added timing. I got the PCIII from FUELMOTO (Jamies place... good guy and told me just to call him when the rinehardts comeout and he would email me the map). I think it was 279.

The real test would be a longer trip with the wife onboard and it the temps a lot warmer outside.

So to quiet the transmission whine I put AMSOIL HD gear oil in the tranny... it helped a lot, to the point of barely being able to detect anything when in 5th except the clatter. Then I dropped a PCIII on it with stock 07 map and the clattering is pretty much nill.

Man I can't wait for rinehardt true duals to come out so I can really open the King up some with the pipes and A/C! The bike will be a blast to ride then.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:01 PM
christian0632
Tourer

As Mongomery Burns (from the Simpsons) would say, Ex-cell-ent! Sounds like you got your money's worth and then some. Christmas is right around the corner so I will start cueing the wife. "Oh Honey...!"

I find my Ultra clatters at lower rpms while it disappears above 2300-2500 rpms. Does (or did) your RK do that?

I also have a question about the O2 sensor eliminators. Are they an in-line plug in thing? Or do they leave wires hanging?

I wonder how this will affect gas mileage?

CS
07 Ultra

Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You disconnect the 02s sensor wiring and eliminators go on bikes side of connector split.02s still have its wiring but not connected to anything.All loose wiring secured as need be.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:33 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have read on other sites that several faulty 02 sensors have been replaced,some of which didnt last much longer than a few tanks of gas.Just something to have the dealer check for.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
easyriderone
Intermediate

I have been reading these post for quite a while now. First I would like to say that for all of those who don't have problems with their 2007s I am glad you have got a good bike. Second if you don't have problems don't dismiss those who do have problems. My 2007 Electra Glide Classic is my 7th Harley and I know this, the bike is not right. You can count my warranty claims on my six other Harleys on one hand (this is averaging around 12,000 miles a year on a bike), so I am not whining or just looking for something to complain about. I bought this bike because I thought the new 96er and the sixth speed would make a good combination, man was I wrong. This is not the first time I bought a first year new model, I bought one of the first twin cams my dealer got in. Man what a great bike. On my ride home form the dealership I knew I had made the right move in buying that bike.

After three weeks and 1200 miles on the 2007 I am sick of this bike. I have the fifth gear whine and CLATTER. The bike is so hot that at Myrtle Beach Fall Rally it became almost unbearable at stoplights. It shakes worst at cruising then my old EVO softail. The dealership where I bought the bike hands out the Harley memo about the gear noise to customers who complain. When ask what could be done about the heat and rough running I am getting the standard answer I suppose, do the Stage One and that will help with the heat. Now have I always changed pipes, air cleaners and installed jet kits or PCs on my other bikes, but that was to get more performance not to made the damn thing run right. It insults me that I am expected to pay additional money just so I can ride my bike and be comfortable. I spent one hour on the phone with HD's customer service rep Heidi last week, that was really a waste of time. To summarize, after an hour she finally told me that the bike was running within EPA guidelines and that there was nothing wrong with the bike. To hell with the EPA, they didn't buy the bike, I did. The customers are the ones who keep Harley Davidson in business. If they can't send bikes out of the factory right at least give the dealer the power to make the bike right under warranty. Even the service manager at my dealership admits that the bikes are running way too lean. What about aftermarket parts (ie PC or even Harlely's SERT voiding my warranty)? Heidi stated that Harley would have to prove that the added part caused the problem ( Magnuson Moss Act), that just because I added a PC or pipes that it would not void my warranty. That is exactly what she told me.

I buy Harley's Touring bikes because I feel no one else makes anything that comes close (no a Goldwing isn't the same), but if Victory or anyone else builds a full dress V Twin Tourer anytime soon I think my long association with HD is over. Until then I have two years of warranty and I intend to ride this bike into the ground. I will not buy any additonal HD chrome or anything else that is label HD until Harley owns up and admits these bikes need fixing. My bike will be serviced with Amsoil and any parts installed to help the bike run cooler will not be HD parts. To everyone here keep posting, especially if you find something that works for these bikes. These forums are the best thing we have going for us at this time.

It seems that HD is no longer run by real bikers who know the meaning of the words honor, truth and loyalty.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:59 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree w/you,many here do too.Yet anything on the EPA side they cant do ,its going to be up to you and your dealer.You cant even see light thru these muffs.Many of these tourers have pingng/detonation due to added heat and being tooo lean.But even after upgrades some of these bikes still have the top end noise/the clatter.And whats doing it is anyones guess as of now.HD is working on it,they have torn down several noisey bikes and can not pin point the cause as of yet.Hopefully they will come thru on their end but you will have to do the other-the fuel/exh to be happier.If this racket is detonation,time will show it.Will your warranty last long enough to cover it is anyones guess.I know youre pissed cause many here have gone thru the same thing as you.Getting a dealer that will back you is the first thing you need.Some dealers have remapped the 96 to 103 maps and have had better results.The guys here that have installed SERTS,PC111s,exh and stage 1 A/Cs arent complaining as much as the stock bikes.Good luck yore not alone.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Sweeeet! I rode the King in this AM to work and it was so sweet hearing nothing but wind and exhaust at 65 mph in 5th gear. Yea it still has some valve train noise if I am cruisin at slower speeds of the gear ranges, but if the RPMS are just up a little it is smooth as silk. I also noticed no glowing pipes last night when I rode it.

Next stop is rinehardts!!! ((when they are avail)) and an A/C kit. Pitt, can you show me where you got your K&N A/C kit??? I think I would rather run that vice a HD Stage 1 paper element kit.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!