Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:26 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

drod, agreed.... I cant understand , when , Harley decided todays bikers wanna cruise at 80mph???? what hap to 55 is fine
maybe its me,,, but the backroads of America IS harley,,,,,, who the f--k wants to putt on a interstate
hey,,,, just thought of this,,,, why dosnt harley make a variation of the ultra, and make it 90% for interstate cruising

Old 10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

drod, I also agree with you. One of the reasons I didn't buy a 2007 was the gear ratio of the 6 speed. IMHO it seemed like the 5 speed was more in tune to my style riding. The 6 speed makes sense if you use your ride for mostly interstate touring.
I spent a few weeks reading about the 6 speed problems and how hot the ride was due to the overly lean setting for the EPA.
It was a hard decision for me to buy a used model versus a 2007. I finally decided the hell with it and did the paper work on a 2007 on a Sat. I was going to go in Mon. and pay cash for it. I didn't sleep Sat. or Sun. night wondering if I was making the right decision. Mon. I called the dealer and said I couldn't go through with it. I figured even if it was a small percentage of 2007s having problems, I didn't want to be one of the unlucky ones.
Tom

Old 10-06-2006, 01:21 PM
CT_Duke
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer has had my bike now for 9 days. They had the MoCo rep there twice. There are several of us that have the same problem with the clattering trannies and all were invited for a meeting and testing of the bikes. They put each one on the Dyno and took the rpms up claiming that at the higher rpms there was no noise. Bulls*&t!! The clattering is just so close together that it blends in with the overall noise but if ya listen real close you can hear it. The rep said that 6th gear should not be used under 70 mph. So that means it is useless in the East where the max is 65 mph. Don't jump on that, I know we all exceed it. The point is this idiot is telling us to break the speed limit to use 6th gear. He claims the bikes are sound and need no repair or modification. Now at this point, if your bike does not make the noise don't jump in here with expertise. Having a bike that is trouble free DOES NOT make you an expert, maybe a know it all, but not an expert. If you think there is nothing wrong with the bike, send me $22k and I'll pay the shipping, then tell me all about lugging and how you hear nothing at all.

Now last week Cindy at the MoCo said they know what the problem is but would not tell me. Think about that. One says there is a problem and they know what it is and the other says there is no problem that the bikes are sound. I gave them all the trust I could until there was obvious proof they are lying and pulling our chains.

Unfortunately the lemon law for me means that it goes against the dealer and not the MoCo. My dealer has been open and honest with me and admits that this is all BS. They know there is a problem and the MoCo is sidestepping it, leaving right in the dealer's lap. I don't want to go against this dealer but it is my $22k so I got no choice. I plan on negotiating with him to buy the 07 Ultra back from me and I'll buy a Softtail. After accessories he should not be out any money, just stuck with a f&#ked up bike to unload. In 6 days the lemon law kicks in. The dealer was telling me that one guy left his bike for 15 days because he just didn't want it, used the lemon law and got his money back. So it is almost a sure thing, I hope he buys it back.

If a class action law suit starts, and I believe it will, then count me in. Just post it as such so we all will see it immediately. I was loyal to my first wife until the bitch deceived me, I've always been loyal to Harley and now they've deceived me. My loyalty is waning and I'd love to kick their *** for not being big enough to stand up and admit they screwed up and fix the problem. Better to hurt the bottom line that way then in court with bad publicity.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Hollywood
Banned

Well I went by the dealer to see what the scoop was. The front suspension knock according to them was a characteristic of the RG, first I hear of this. They had the whole front end apart the other day. They said they tighten something up and it's less noticeable.

The rear cylinder not firing was due to a bad wire. They are saying that maybe this is what was causing the clatter clunky noise I heard, I hope so, but I don’t have my hopes high on it.

The clattering clunking (engine or Trans) noise they said they couldn't hear. They claimed they took the bike for 50 mile run and heard nothing. I tried to rev the bike while in neutral with them standing there but couldn’t get it to make the noise. They also refused to put the bike on the dyno claiming they couldn’t spend anymore time on it because they are not getting paid for it due to it being warranty stuff. I will be picking up the bike tomorrow and I told them that if it starts making that noise that I coming right back and I will need them to check it out right there and then.

This whole thing has giving me a very bad feeling about how the MOCO operates trying to cover this up. I feel like I'm dealing with a bunch of politicians instead of technicians. I feel betrayed and lied too. I’ve been a Harley loyalist for many years, putting up with some crappy engineering ideas over the years just for the sake that there isn’t another motorbike out there that makes me feel how I feel when I ride a Harley. If they won’t own up to the problem and fix it and instead just try sweeping it under the rug, they will pay dearly with their sales. I don’t know how sales are going this year compared to last but I keep seeing the same touring bikes sitting in the showroom.

Anyway, I’ll let you know if it makes the noise again when I pick it tomorrow and how they react. Right now I’m seriously thinking of not spending anymore money on upgrades on this bike and just trade it in for a 08 in July. For those of you thinking of getting a 07 touring bike, think twice.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:24 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine back 2day after 1000 mile check and rep episode and within 40 miles from dealer the noise was back,My speeds all the way home where beween 75 to 85.Could hear noise above 2800 rpms.Called C/S and chewed on them but have to wait till monday for call back. Im going legal on this,got too much $ into this.Attorney general will be notified.I dont care who eats this,but would love to see the MOCO go down and not my dealer.I cant begin to tell you all how pissed I am. Enough is enough.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:25 PM
wired
Intermediate

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked.Try asking for a replacement bike that does not have these problems,if that doesn't work out then ask for a full refund or buyback.you may be surprised at the out come.Especially if it's a reputable dealer.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:14 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew I should have taken up model train collectin!!!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:56 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Customer Service must have been closed this past week. Maybe they were giving them another round of training.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:01 AM
IndyUC
1st Gear

FromTheDirt poses an interesting point. Perhaps the defective ones come from a specific plant. Why not take a poll of those with the clatter noise (not the gear noise) and see if there is any pattern? That way we might be able to improve the odds when buying a new 07.

1. Model
2. Date of manufacture
3. Manufacturing plant
4. Sequential part of VIN#
5. etc.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:02 AM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine hasn't had any clatter for the past two weeks. Oh yea, I haven't rode it in two weeks either! It sure looks good though.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!