Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Hollywood
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

The sound in mine hasn't gone away. At the moment my bike is back at the shop for a knocking sound in the front suspension, also my rear cyclinder stopped firing during idle, also my engine light goes on and off and of course the clanky clunky noise.

They fixed the rear cyclinder, loose wire they say. Front suspension now after the 3rd trip on that alone they are telling me that they can now hear the noise because it's louder, but they don't know yet where it's coming from. I suspect it was due to something they did when they installed the chrome front end. At the moment the whole front end is apart.

The clanky clunky noise I've been told by a couple of friends that were over there, that the techs heard it. Note, I'm not talking about the 5th gear whine noise, that is part of the design and whomever designed it should be fired and who ever approved it should be fired as well. Why put out a new product that sounds like crap.

Anyway, the reason my riding buddies stopped by the dealer was to check out my bike and inquired about a SG and a Ultra. Sales person told them he had a few 07's on the floor. My friends told them no thanks that he's looking for an 06 SG, they other said he would wait for the 08. When asked why, my friends told the sales person that they both knew me and knew of all the problems I've been thru with my 07. Sales person didn't even say a word, just turned around and walked away.

As I mentioned my friends stopped by the service area and were busting chops asking to see the V1 (only one cyclinder firing thing on my bike). They know the service techs pretty well. One of the service guys told them that they did hear the clattering noise. I'm waiting to hear from the dealer now to see what they say about that. I'm hopping it's not the same thing they told Pittguy.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:01 PM
bluep
Advanced

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

MY Ultra was 1 of the very 1st ones on the floor,,,,,, my dearler,and Mech both rode mine after 500 miles,, they heard the noise, brought it right in and dove right into the prim'y,, nothing seemed abnormal.... Ive changed the tranny oil 4 x's in 3'000 miles. no diff,,,. Ive been keepin an eye on Pitguy, looks like no resolve there,,,,so until the 08's come out,, I gotta listen to a awful noise at 55-65 mph in 5th gear.
I,m willing to ignore and ride,,, but after a hour,, ya just cant stand the annoyance,,,touring??!!! bullcrap.. it should be called a worring bike....... and if ya think I'm crap, well you can buy my bike next July, cause its gettin traded,,,, I just cant be unlucky 2 times in a row!!
,, maybe I'll try the PC111 and slipons... only if I can put them on the 08,,, My 2cents!!!

Did they run the bike with the cover OFF and watch all the parts dance in there??????????????

Old 10-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Hollywood
Banned

Don't know what they did, but that makes sense to me to run the bike with the covers off. I've been there so many times for so many different things that I'm not going by there or calling them until they contact me. Sometimes I feel bad for the service tech guys because they are the ones that have to put up with all the non-sense the MOCO set them up for.

When I dropped the bike off I did give them Pittguy's suggestion of running the bike in the dyno, but I don't know if they did that. At this point I won't freak if they don't have a solution as long as they document that they heard the sound. This way when they do find the fix I'll be first in line. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hollywood if they dyno run yours make sure you are there unless dealer can replicate this noise fairly easy.I know mine could be heard last two times,second not as loud as first but noise happened at such a narrow band.At least on my bike and could be heard best in 6th.When I rode it the first time before run it was the loudest.I just got off hwy and bike went straight to dyno,no cool down.Im not sure what wil be said about yours other than area Rep will want to see it.And you will most likely get my response.The MoCo has to address this in someway.The fluid of the month cures isnt working.New sales have got to be feeling this even if just alittle.I cant tell you how many people ask me about my new bikes noise and whats being done.Word is out at least on the tourers.I think anyone thats into harleys are mentioning this in some way.The MoCo shouldve nipped this in the butt right away,even if only a acknowledgement.These dealers are hearing it,some maybe more than others.The wrenches can only do the basics at this point,fluid changes,visual checks etc.I have several magazine editors following my bikes issues and have been in contact w/factory over this.I still dont know how widespread this is and the factory may not either but do something to ease the BS that everyone dowmstream is going thru.Good luck w/your bike,what is found will help us all.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Hollywood
Banned

Pittguy thanks. I hope they call me before the dyno. I stopped by today to see how things were going. They couldn't even tell my that info today. They told me that their warranty guy was out today and that he would be calling me tomorrow. I wonder what that's all about. These guys get very nervous every time I come around. I didn't want to press them for answer cause I was in a hurry but tomorrow I well be there at lunch if they don't call me in the morning. My bike has been there since last Friday. It shouldn't be to difficult to duplicate the sound on my bike unless they put some fluid in there to quite it down for awhile. It's louder now than before and it happens in gears 2-5. I can make it happen easy after a quick warm up.

Your right about the word getting around, couple of people even approached me at the dealer asking if it was true what they've read on the web. I told them to look in the service area and check out my bike, it's been there more than it's been on the road. I'm glad to hear you have a couple of magazine guys interested in this. I'll let you know tomorrow how the saga goes.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:11 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Good luck,hope they at least try something.That is change something.I wouldnt have a problem being the test bed for an attempted fix.But aleast try something.Let us know what they decide if you dont mind.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Hollywood
Banned

Will do.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:16 PM
wired
Intermediate

I can almost promise you nothing will be done at this point unless something has been discovered since last week.Spoke with customer service at moco last week and they are very aware of the issues with these bikes, and are working very hard to resolve these issues.According to the person I spoke with they have been flooded with these complaints and are very aware of what is going on all over the internet and not just this site.They don't want this any more then we do,unfortunately it's our hard earned green.I don't think they'll try any thing until their sure of some sort of resolve.She said there
are several people working on this and many transmissions disassembled up there.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:47 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Then why dont they come out and say this?It takes several calls to them before they begin to drop you hints.The reps and the dealers are left w/weekly notices to keep the"Thats Normal" line ongoing.If my dealer or area rep would say something like you said to those of us taking this problem on,this would be a dead thread.C/S treats you like you just threw your leg over your first bike.Why arent these local reps riding 07 models?Mine rode a harley tourer but not a new one.I think all the pre-production touring testing was based on the dynas,the primary was taken for granted.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If we were able to shift at the speeds in the owners manual this thread would not even have started. It seems like 6th gear is unuseable. I can't shift into 6th until 70mph. If I let it drop under 70mph it starts the clattering. With the speed limit here 70mph 6th is not useable. The final drive ratio on the '06 5 speeds is 3.150. The final drive ratio on the '07 6 speed is 2.790. If the final ratio was brought back to around 3.000 it would make all the gears pull easier. I don't think this would fix the problem, but it would reduce the lugging like condition at the 2300-2400-2500 rpm range. The 3.000 ratio would still allow lower rpm at 70-80mph than the '06 bikes.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!