Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:56 PM
bluep
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

ORIGINAL: bh73

ORIGINAL: Nails

Just a thought...If the MoCo does not believe the issue is an imminent danger to the rider and has not yet been able to pin-point a fix that cures the issue; they will in no way admit to unacceptable issues with the 07's. If they do they shoot themselves and a ton of other people in the foot with a chain reaction. Sales at the dealerships will immediately stop. How are the dealers supposed to pay their employees when the cash flow stops? Dealers will then begin canceling their orders; now the MoCo is in a position to stop production at plants because they have no cash flow comming in from dealers ordering bikes. Next in line; the MoCo begins canceling orders from suppliers. The chain goes on and on. When its all said and done, hundreds of thousands of individuals lives have been negatively affected and all those workers have families. You can't look at this from a narrow perspective. Trickle-down-economics is a very real thing.

On the other hand...when the MoCo can isolate and resove the issue, they will then admit there is a problem. But, only when they can fix it, so as not to dissrupt the business cycle and the many lives which hang in it's balance. These HD reps are just out there doing damage control as best they can.

Lots of the 05's were using tons of oil and it took the MoCo until July of 2005 (05's began shipping in July of 04) to issue the service bulletin to resolve the issue. Many of the 06's ran like crap due to the new crappy 8* injectors. It took the MoCo until Feb. (7 months into the model year) to issue the service bulletin with a fix for those having problems. In both of these instances the dealerships and MoCo behaved the same as they are with this 07 issue. I should know; I bought a new 05 Heritage Classic in Aug. of 2004 and a 2006 Ultra in Aug. of 2005. The heritage used a quart of oil every 1K miles and 06 hesitated, stalled, and had a very erratic idle. Both were eventually remedied by the MoCo to my statisfaction.

Long story short...be patient and ride the crap out your bike. There is a very high probability the MoCo will have a SB to give to the dealers at the Feb. meetings. Then all of you who are having the issues can get it fixed before the spring thaw and the 07 riding season!

Very good logic in your post!
I agree 100% good post ! But why in heck doesnt somebody pull the primary cover and look??
Instead of all the crying!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 02:20 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer is suppose to take a look into mine just for my ease.keep your pants on bluep,they are trying their best.if its a part that acts weird when hot-which may be my issue-a same part may do the same.I think the MOCO is into this.MoCos tech guy mentioned this to me a few wks ago.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Doug
Cruiser

ok

Old 10-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doug

The cost. who will for this? HD no. Dealer no. Me yes.I have already payed enough. When dealer checks my bike and says I don't hear any noise I get charged!
You don't get charged, it will be a recall deal.

Are you saying you have been charged?

Old 10-04-2006, 08:52 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MY Ultra was 1 of the very 1st ones on the floor,,,,,, my dearler,and Mech both rode mine after 500 miles,, they heard the noise, brought it right in and dove right into the prim'y,, nothing seemed abnormal.... Ive changed the tranny oil 4 x's in 3'000 miles. no diff,,,. Ive been keepin an eye on Pitguy, looks like no resolve there,,,,so until the 08's come out,, I gotta listen to a awful noise at 55-65 mph in 5th gear.
I,m willing to ignore and ride,,, but after a hour,, ya just cant stand the annoyance,,,touring??!!! bullcrap.. it should be called a worring bike....... and if ya think I'm crap, well you can buy my bike next July, cause its gettin traded,,,, I just cant be unlucky 2 times in a row!!
,, maybe I'll try the PC111 and slipons... only if I can put them on the 08,,, My 2cents!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 09:17 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer has never charged me for any testing,thats why i pass at least 2 others up to go where I go.But would pay to get this thing to shut up.Mine too was one of the 1st ones off the floor.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 PM
boquinn27615
Stage I

I picked up my new 07 Ultra last Saturday and I love it. The week before mine came in I did a test ride on a new 07 Ultra and a new 07 Road King Classic. The RK's 5th. gear was a little louder (but not bad) than the Ultra. When mine came in last Saturday I did a test ride of 10 or 15 miles before the purchase. 5th. gear is a little louder but it doesn't bother me at all. I sold a 04 RK Custom a few weeks ago that I had purchased new. I do not believe 5th gear on my Ultra is that much different than the RK. As a matter of fact I believe that 6th gear on the Ultra is a lot quiter than previous models and that is why everone is focused on the sound of 5th. Just my opinion.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 826 Likes on 393 Posts

Check out the "service bulletin" on this site: http://www.cerinihd.com/service_request.asp

Old 10-05-2006, 08:26 AM
rharrison
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been following this thread since I started shopping for a new HD. At the time, my friend bought a new 07 Ultra. Almost immediatley, the bike started making the rocks-in-the-case sound in sixth gear. It progressively got worse. Last Friday, while riding behind him, with my full-face helmet, I could hear the noise. No way would ANYONE with hearing keep a bike that sounds like this.

On Saturday night, after 1300 miles of putting up with this racet, the Ultra was traded in on an 05 Classic with 250 miles. At the time, one salesman told us (my friend and I) to our face that he knew of no "tranny problems" with the 07s. Another salesman, who took in the Ultra on trade for the 05 Classic, acknowledged the problem. I know of at least a couple of new bike sales that have NOT taken place due to this problem. Another irony is that this noisy 07 Ultra will likely find a new home this weekend. I hope he or she finds this thread.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:36 PM
FLSTC
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question, has the clunking sound gone away or is less noticable when changing gears?

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!