Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:14 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

I hear ya,but my dealer has been good to me lately and Im sure doesnt want me bothering them unless its something new.This guy stopped what he was doing to help me out today.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:37 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

pitt, I believe what you say happened today. But still the problem is worse in 5th gear. Don't you agree? I don't see how it could be in the valve train and worse in 5th gear. Think about it a few minutes before you reply. Maybe it's still compensator and the noise is just transfering up the engine.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:47 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking mine back in tomorrow AM. This will make #2 for the issue. I called and guess I am gonna start this process in earnest. I wish I was not leaving for 2 weeks travel, though it would make it easy to leave the bike with them. One of the guys is gonna ride it and I told him exactly how to create it. Told him if he can't hear it, he can ride b!tch and I'll make it do it for him. It was also suggested I could ride another 07 touring bike for comparison, so if that one makes the same noise.... well we'll see, but if it doesn't.... hmmm. I got to be honest, it really is hard to admit that I have this brand new HD bike and it has an issue that makes me just wanna I have bought a lot of new vehicles and have never taken one back to the dealer for problems/issues. This is my first.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Like I said the noise is hard to say its coming from here and nowhere else.My 5th gear had the whine of course and the noise was there but much harder to hear because of it.6th gear is when I could hear the rattle the best and thats where it was heard today.Im not saying it isnt in the primary and traveling elsewhere,but for the short time it was on the dyno i wouldve said it was top end related.This thing is going to need more testing and hopefully opened up to find cause.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:59 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Jolly,put it on the dyno,if you can make it rattle,it will take very little time.I tried the test ride thing too many times.Most dealerships make their people wear full helmets and it may hush things alittle.Bike on dyno,quiet room other than bikes own noise,you will hear it.Make sure bike is hot.Mine required it to be.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:12 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

pitt, maybe they are different. When mine is hot enough and two-up in 5th it sounds like it is hammering it's so bad. 6th gear not near as bad as 5th. Have you rode two-up to put a little more strain on it?

Old 09-29-2006, 09:28 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

No Im solo,my girlfriend has her own,otherwise I may have never heard the noise at all.Dealer tried reving my bike at a constant rpm and no noise.I have heard it in 5th but best in 6th with my hearing.My bike no longer has a 4inch shield but a 9incher.I could always hear the rattle in two top gears after the 1st tank of gas.I run the hwy alot for short trips or to work and got accustom to hearing it in 6th.I had to really lug mine to hear 5th well.Im sure on the dyno it could be heard much better.I just wanted someone at the dealer to say yes I HEAR THAT NOISE,for the road test by them this was the easiest to get it.Once on the dyno w/him on it,he ran the trans up tru each gear to 6th. We just used this gear for the noise test.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Can anyone here spell............"Class Action Lawsuit". I feel so sorry for all you guys that are having this problem. You all have been more than patient with HD. Wish you all the luck in getting this issue solved.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:49 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I am now hopeful that whatever is making my bike raise the devil will make HD look into this as another problem.to not classify everything under the 5th gear whine.To start taking all these calls more serious.Dont get me wrong there still could be trans making rattle noises too.Mine my not fix them all.I dont want to lead anyone wrong until they find out whats causing mine and hopefully will cure others.I didnt have much to stand on until someone from the dealer/factory has heard it for themselves.Its taken me at least 3 trips to my dealer plus one next week,endless hrs w/ C/S to get this far.Im hopeful.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:15 PM
RdKngRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to Harley C/S today and was told that they've had a lot of complaints about this problem and that they're working on it. I was told that I would be notified by mail when they have a solution. I'm beginning to wonder if these are different problems. My problem is in 5th gear only. There's no whine, just a lot of clatter. It is a lot more noticable when the bike is hot. I'll be putting the bike up for the winter in another month, so I can live with the problem that long. Hopefully, Harley will come up with a fix before next spring and I can really enjoy riding this thing next year.

The C/S rep was very open about the problem, so I felt a lot better about the possibility that it will be fixed after I talked to her.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!