Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:55 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Most of these dealers cant duplicate the noise w/o knowing how to get it.In my case my dealer took it home w/him 2 days plus rode it again this AM and couldnt hear it.This makes me believe that this may be more widespread than what has been mentioned.Like I said this isnt caused by lugging motor,though lugging motor will let you hear it better.My made the noise today on dyno at @ 75mph,it would do it lwr and Im sure it would do it higher.Youd never be able to hear above that on road w/all other surrounding noise.If you can do it on the road,then you will be able to hear it on the dyno.You will hear this isnt just a little rattle.It may take your throttle hand to bring it into tune on the dyno.My dealer couldnt get it,I got it right away.I also called HD C/S and gave them an update on what was heard and by whom.These bikes should be great if we can lick this noise.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 PM
geraldtf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like in one of my early post at 75-80mph the bike want to vi berate more than usual. like right under my seat ,the noise is like a card in a bicycle spoke ,

Old 09-29-2006, 07:20 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Most of these dealers cant duplicate the noise w/o knowing how to get it.In my case my dealer took it home w/him 2 days plus rode it again this AM and couldnt hear it.This makes me believe that this may be more widespread than what has been mentioned.Like I said this isnt caused by lugging motor,though lugging motor will let you hear it better.My made the noise today on dyno at @ 75mph,it would do it lwr and Im sure it would do it higher.Youd never be able to hear above that on road w/all other surrounding noise.If you can do it on the road,then you will be able to hear it on the dyno.You will hear this isnt just a little rattle.It may take your throttle hand to bring it into tune on the dyno.My dealer couldnt get it,I got it right away.I also called HD C/S and gave them an update on what was heard and by whom.These bikes should be great if we can lick this noise.
This bike rides so sweet and I really love it also, but the noise drive me nuts and takes the pleasure out of riding it... If I just knew what it was it would help... If it is valve train noise, it can be fixed...if I can confirm it is NOT the tranny it would make me feel better... Pittguy, whatever you find out I really want to know so I can take the info to my dealer and insist the same service/fix.

"Someone said they changed out there pipes, the whole exhaust. Not sure were he got it. The sound stopped, not just drowned out." I was wondering the same thing... I am wondering if it is the exhaust mount on the tranny. A true dual eliminates this mount I believe. All I can figure it is RPM related and whatever is causing it is resonating terribly.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:22 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the noise but didnt realize it was as audible till standing next to it in an enclosed room.I will be there when rep shows up.The dyno is the best way for him/them to hear it.If this is it I cant believe the factory hasnt tried it.But if this is what they also hear and have run it the same way-on a dyno-then I can see why they are scratching their heads.You cant just point your finger and say its coming from right here.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:24 PM
aleykat271
1st Gear

Thank you,finally someone knows what they are talking about! It is 1 to 1 in 6th,witout a seperate shaft!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 07:29 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Could what we are hearing be detonation/pinging??? The bikes are running lean. It happens under certain rpm/loading... I have never ridden a bike with a detonation problem, so I can't relate it. But I have heard some of my old cars do it... I mean new pipes require a tuner... tuner richens things up... pinging is gone. If the PCIII install eliminates it I would love to hear about it. I so bad want to put rinehart true duals(when they come out), PCIII, and A/C on the bike... if I knew this eliminated the problem I would jump as soon as the true duals and PCIII are available for my 07.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:37 PM
drocken
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: RebelRouser

OK I've got to ask you ...WHO ARE YOU ?Are you a rep for Harley ? A mechanic that has worked on Harleys ? I here you talking but what authority do you speak with ?
I don't know about him but my 07 runs great and has no noise.... I am very happy with it and glad I didn't get one like a lot of other folks here got.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:39 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

What I heard today was not detonation,pinging.Very mechanical sound that kept in tune w/valvetrain.Sounded like-now Im not saying this is the cause-rocker arms hitting or just touching surrounding casting,maybe valve spring related.Like I said Im just guessing,the bike wasnt on machine all that long,basicly only to have someone hear the noise.This man stopped what he was doing on a busy day to get me out of his hair.And I cant thank him enough for that.This bike will get its chance next week to dig deeper.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:54 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

pinging,,, yes deff!! if your tooling along and grab a handfull of throttle , like to pass,, youll hear above the motor sounds,,, a tinny clinck clincking clinkityclink,, sound,/ thats spark knock, aka ping,,,, but thats not what PITGUY and the rest are refering to,,,,, its the 5th gear whir,with an attached metal clankscreach I call it, and it gets worse as the bike gets hot I think it should be called chatter, LOUD CHATTER

Old 09-29-2006, 07:57 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

pit,,,, now,,, what about the parts that have been hammering for the last 3000 miles,,, bet they dont fix them

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!