Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Edelmon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

I think all Harley needs to do is define what is causing the noise. If it is not a safety issue, then fine, but at least tell us what it is and why it isn't a safety issue.

I am riding mine everyday. It is a great bike, and if it didn't sound like it was coming apart in 5th gear I would have no complaints.

I spoke to a Factory Rep last weekend at the Oreilly Nationals outside of Dallas. He knew what I was talking about. He said the higher ups at Harley knew about the issue. He said to expect the note we received this week. He also said they still don't know what causes it, and they are going by the fact that there have been no breakdowns to say that it's not a safety issue. I have 1700 miles on mine. It made the noise since day one. After the 1st 500 miles I keep it up in the RPMS (2500 - 3000) in whatever gear I'm running in. There is only the issue for me in 5th. No noise in any other gear. It only makes the clattering noise when accelerating in 5th now. Running a steady rpm - no noise. Decellerating(SP?) in 5th - No noise. This has been since the tranny fluid got swapped out and replaced with Syn 3. Before that there was lot's of noise in 5th. So it is abating some in MY case or I'm just getting used to it.

If it was me (and it was) and I wanted the 07 with 96 cubic inches and a 6 speed, I would go for it. I bought the bike and the extended warranty. Just for the record, I never buy extended warranties on my cars. But this is a new model year and shizzle happens, hence I did something out of the ordinary for me. What I'm saying is if you want the bike, then get it. You will probably get a great one with no issues, and in that case I will envy you, but if not then you have been warned.

One note - I believe in Texas, that any contract can be cancelled upto 72 hours after you execute it. I'm not a lawyer (nor a dealer) so be sure and check that before you get into this.

Good luck, I'm going to give up reading this thread as it only makes me nervous when I go for a ride. Which I think I will go and do now......

TE

Old 09-28-2006, 08:58 PM
geraldtf
Advanced

if i was you, i would wait ! these bikes need a fix ,while in MB S.C. next week hope to meet up with some 07s and go to the local H-D- dealer , hope a rep will be there! you don't buy a car and than put in thicker oil to cover up a lifter tap, why should we do it to a 22k bike , if we want to run stripped like in the showroom, we should be able to , without adding loud pipes or heavery oils, like the man said ,some do some don't, that alone tells the whole story,

Old 09-28-2006, 09:05 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you remember what CT-Duke posted early on.The factory could make ANY tourer make this noise,not talking about the whine.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:15 PM
RdKngRider
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: geraldtf

if i was you, i would wait ! these bikes need a fix ,while in MB S.C. next week hope to meet up with some 07s and go to the local H-D- dealer , hope a rep will be there! you don't buy a car and than put in thicker oil to cover up a lifter tap, why should we do it to a 22k bike , if we want to run stripped like in the showroom, we should be able to , without adding loud pipes or heavery oils, like the man said ,some do some don't, that alone tells the whole story,
I agree. I was itchin' for this bike and didn't want to wait to get it, so I know the feeling, but now I wish I would have waited 'til next year. I agree with others that this is a great bike except for the tranny noise. So, it'd be worth waiting for one that you know the tranny will not have a problem.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:58 PM
oldbag
Banned

I have read several post where the poster thinks this might be caused by the compensator. Has anyone taken one a part and posted what they found? It seems if something is going on with the compensator it would show some sigh of wear, to much clearance or a problem of some kind.

Stan

Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Josey Wales
Cruiser

Someone really needs to post a sound clip of this noise people are hearing! I have an 07 but only hear the (rocks noise) when the wind is not in my ears and I am not in the lower RPM's is that it? It does seem louder in 5th but I can make it happen in just about any gear! Not trying to doubt anyone just trying to get an accurate depiction of this noise and if I have a problem also! Maybe I am the one guilty of lugging in the begining but I just tach it up a little more in the gears and all is gone! If I follow the manual and shift at the recommended speeds I get it also 5mph above the recommended speeds is all good! with all these comments I think maybe I am begining to doubt myself in what I hear and pass it off as normal!

Not trying to be an @sshole or doubt anyone....so don't throw stones (I mean rocks)! ha ha just kidding I hope all is well with mine and everyone elses ride and it gets fixed!

Old 09-28-2006, 11:15 PM
oldbag
Banned

I also noticed the recomended shift speeds in the owners manual don't work well at all. I feel like I need to keep it above 2500 RPM at all times in the higher gears. Sometimes it hard to find a RPM that works well without a lot of shifting.

Stan

Old 09-28-2006, 11:23 PM
jbatp92
Advanced

I have an '07 Ultra with about 1700 miles now. I can't say that I hear a whine but at the right rpm ( 2000- 2300 or so) in 5th the bike does make some different noises. If I keep the rpm's up then it is fine.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:41 PM
GOBB
Intermediate

If yoy want a new bike, Drive it for 20 miles before you buy it. There is a bunch of them that are great. I had mine hauled back after 12 miles and tryed to swap it even up for a 05 and they wouldn't even do that.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:29 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: GOBB

If yoy want a new bike, Drive it for 20 miles before you buy it. There is a bunch of them that are great. I had mine hauled back after 12 miles and tryed to swap it even up for a 05 and they wouldn't even do that.
Wow, I wish I had an '05 to trade you.

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!