Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:20 AM
wired
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tranny problem!

Would you buy a new car without taking it for a road test?Find reputable dealer.My opinion,wait till the spring.and see how this unfolds.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:28 AM
RebelRouser
Banned

[sm=insomnia.gif][sm=sorry.gif] I guess i wasnt awake. I go to work at 5:30 AM . I wake up at around 9:AM. Ya know what I mean?[sm=smokin.gif]

Old 09-28-2006, 10:40 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Well I'll pick up my King from its 1000 service this afternoon after work. I guess I'll hear about the letter and be told its "normal" and just ride and enjoy, cause I know they didn't do anything for/about it. I think I'll stop by and pick up some amsoil heavy duty gear lube and see how that does in the tranny. I know I don't care to take it in the shorts for a trade, but will look at their 06's and any used touring bikes. I was gonna put true duals on it, PCIII, A/C when Bud's releases the new Reinhardts pipes. Don't know what to do now. The noise the tranny makes drives me nuts. Thing is I had confidence cause I have an 06 Dyna and it has the 6 speed and it is wonderful. I know not to lug it and learned that riding the Dyna... I am not lugging my 07 King. Just something in the drive train sounds like **** in 5th ABOVE 60mph and 6th around 70mph +.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:19 AM
wired
Intermediate

Shovelhead Bob,Whats different between the 06 six speeds and the 07.I have heard of only a couple of issues with the 06.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:23 AM
kv4eg
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: JollyRogers

Well I'll pick up my King from its 1000 service this afternoon after work. I guess I'll hear about the letter and be told its "normal" and just ride and enjoy, cause I know they didn't do anything for/about it. I think I'll stop by and pick up some amsoil heavy duty gear lube and see how that does in the tranny. I know I don't care to take it in the shorts for a trade, but will look at their 06's and any used touring bikes. I was gonna put true duals on it, PCIII, A/C when Bud's releases the new Reinhardts pipes. Don't know what to do now. The noise the tranny makes drives me nuts. Thing is I had confidence cause I have an 06 Dyna and it has the 6 speed and it is wonderful. I know not to lug it and learned that riding the Dyna... I am not lugging my 07 King. Just something in the drive train sounds like **** in 5th ABOVE 60mph and 6th around 70mph +.
...let us know how the Amsoil works out - I've heard good things about it, but haven't personally tried it (yet).

Old 09-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

ORIGINAL: BVBOB

Shovelhead Bob, I'm sure if you ask your service manager about the letter he will show you a copy, the box at the top showed Dealer Department routing as Dealer Principal, General Manager Vehicle Sales manager, Service and H.O.G. Director......
You don't pay attention to what others post do you?????

I work at a dealer (as I stated), as a Master Technician and Lehman builder...

I got the letter yesterday, as it was also addressed (Routed) to the Service Dept/Tech's......
So Bob, this letter is for real?

I may have been a little reluctant to believe some of the posts on this subject do to some people’s attitudes.
After going for a ride last night I am noticing the sound more, I hear it when letting off the throttle in 5th and 6th. It's not bad and once I get some pipes I doubt I will hear it but it should not be there. I believe that Harley will quietly come out with a fix eventually as someone previously stated.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Wired....

No difference between the 2.....

Early 06's had a problem with the Shift Drum and detent, and that was a recall fix..... No probs since then.....

I have ridden a ton of Touring bikes (07's), and have heard the 5th whine, not the clatter that some here are referring to......

I did find out rather quickly that these bikes have LONG legs, and need to be wound out to run the higher gears......

I wouldn't even think of hitting 6th until 70 mph or so.......

Akitakoi.....

Yes. it is for real....Dated 26 Sept.....It was Faxed from M'waukee at 0733 their time...... from their "Fax Server"....

Old 09-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Hollywood
Banned

After 2500 miles on my 07 RG the noise is getting louder and I hear it in all gears except 6th. I don't shift below 3200 rpm and I hear the noise as stated starting from 2200 rpm to 3200 rpm when I shift. Again, I'm not talking about the 5th gear whining sound. I'm talking about the clattering, knocking sound. I've tried to ignore it by blasting the radio, since I haven't added any pipes yet. But it's getting to the point where I'm getting angry and frustrated every time I ride the bike. The fact that I've paid 22K for a new bike that sounds like crap makes me want to take a baseball bat to it. It's a good thing the bike looks sweet when it's parked.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:26 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys have to stop throwing shots at each other and aim them toward your dealer,C/S.I believe all my racket is coming from the primary not the tranny.Many hear the 5th gear whine and point to the trans as the problem.Heat is an issue with this noise,at least on mine.After oil cooler has been installed and local temperatures have fallen,it takes my bike longer to make the chain slap noise.I was out most of yesterday mainly on country roads and bike was fine for the most part.Once I hit the hwy and got up above speed limit,throttled back to maintain that speed,around 2500 rpm,6th gear.the noise could be heard w/no radio.I can get this noise at just about any speed.rpm as long as I throttle back to maintain a asteady rpm.You get to a speed that wind noise will make it next to impossible to hear anything except the wind.HDs letter about 5t gear whine is fine,the other noise isnt.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Motosurf
Cruiser

I have an 06 Dyna and know other 06 Dyna owners and none of us have a 5th gear noise or primary clatter. Are the 07 trannies different?

06 FXDBI

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!