Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:41 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kmclean53
I have o 07 ultra with IDS and still have good bit of noise in 5th when accelerating. Would the new Screaming Eagle compensator be worth the money and get rid of remainder of noise?
Not sure but the stock comp is basically rigid with no comp effect under agressive acelleration whereas the new one should maintain the cushioning effect at higher loading. It really is designed much better than the original. The spring rate is more progessive, meaning there are three different loadings in play, with the softest one close to what you have now. That will keep cruise pulses in check but when you get on it the next set start working . There's one more big set of springs remaining for the really hard loads.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 10-20-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:55 AM
UltraStreet07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmmmm!!!

Originally Posted by pittguy
The starter bang,tearing off teeth issue has died down.Head cc difference,down in the hole spec even on same bike between each cyl on same bike has been found different.Could be causing what you spoke of.The 103 kit seemed to correct some of this at least down in hole specs.
When I was looking for a new bike in March of 07 I found a 07 Ultra that was on the floor with an already installed Stage I kit, basic 103 kit and an extra headset for the passenger. I gotta wonder why now!!!

I added V&H Oval Slip-On within 3 days of my purchase. Mine has the whine but not to bad but is very noticable, the slite rattling sound more of a pinging I would say and runs extreamly HOT. Upon delivery the girl that sold it to me warned me of how the new 6 speeds have more noise and shift differently than the 5 speeds did and to give it time to break-in. It has quitened down a little and has started shifting less jerky now that it has around 8000 miles on it. I do run through the gears as I like to fell the tq of a HD when they pull so I would say I do not lug it very often.

My 1st bike was a 98 RKC I got used with 3600 miles on it in Jan. of 2000 with no warranty. It had a little problem at about 6500 miles when it ingesteted the 1/4" bolt that held the breather back plate to the oil vent tub cross-over of the SE Stage I kit breather and crunched the back jugs piston, rod and head.... sliding me and the bike down the road at 70mph. So I now have a little concern that this may could happen with this issue on the 07 Ultra.

I had the cases bored and built a 88" S&S jugged 10.5:1 motor with SE heads Jims rods and a Crane 310 cam, EMC 44mm throttle body added a PowerCommander II and it tuned out the make a tad over 98hp and 102tg at sea level with Bub true duals and White Bros. E series slip-ons (man what a sound...awsome) with 17 disc on each side. Added a RevTech 6 speed gear set to my stock tranny case which this motor granaded in short order locked up in 2nd gear and blew the bottom of the case out when the gears cam through it. Good Ole 5 yr warranty on those gears gave me a whole new unit in a Rev-Trash case and labor to install it. At about 15000 miles it locked up in a parking lot and would not move..this was after a long days ride. Same deal new gear set 5yr warranty.....gotta love it when you buy junk. I put Redine Heavy Duty Shock Proof in it (it shifted meuch better and was quiter) and ran about 17000 miles on that set of gears till I sold the bike just shortly after the purchase of my 07 Ultra. It was a great bike all in all and ran very hard and easily pull the front wheel. I was tired of the hot rods constant dyno tuning, wrenching, oil leaks, rear tires and wanted stock again.

Point being I ran a 6 speed for years before I got the 07. I do have a problem with the gearing (1st gear totally sucks) of the new HD 6 speeds vers. the RT and/or the HD 5 speed my EVO had and wish this was geared like they were. It would still pull enough to to lift the fork an inch or more at 100mph in 6th and I was scared to top it out but I know it would runn well over 130mph and seen it do well over 180mph on the dyno manytimes. I have a problem with the heat MUCH HOTTER than the 88" hot rod EVO I had. I have sat in traffic in Sturgis (been 3 times) coming from Deadwood going to Glenco MANYTIMES on the EVO and it got so hot it shutdown...and still was not as hot as this 07 runs.

I was told the 07 SE's have different gearing either in the primary or tranny by a tech at the HD shop (Mancuso's in Houston) I made both of my bike purchases from and use for service. So I will look into that for my gearing issues.

The plan is to check into the new compensator setup, add Redline HD Shock Proof oil to the tranny, SE clutch basket with new gearing (if that is the case) and add 255 cams with a SERT and retune. Most of these I would want to do anyhow reguardless of the existing issues. And then maybe the Baker F6F 5th gear before the ISO-Drive bandaid unit.

All said I am very happy with my 07 Ultra with the exception of the heat and gearing which I hope will be resolved with the above changes. Adding the ISO-Drive as a last resort if needed because I am afraid it will spit the rubber out of it as I have heard they have done on a few bikes. I feel its pinging more so than anything since I have heard it so manytimes before on the high compression EVO motor.

Last edited by UltraStreet07; 01-04-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:08 AM
JacksPilot
Cruiser
Talking

I have a 07 soft classic that rattled very bad. Sounded like rocks in the trany. Turned out to be my helmet visor was rattling. a big do about nothing. It really sounded like the trans was coming apart.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

At 59 and mostly cause the wife and I do is putt in the evenings at less than 4k rpm's I think that what i have is ok.
We have almost 16k on the bike in two yrs and would have had more than 20K if rain and family issues had not been an issue this past summer... Not bad for INd weather as we only get to ride uaually 7-8 months a yr....

update.
After writing above and riding sons bike with cams, ok became not enough, so after studying cams I have now put in a set of 26H's, love them. can now use 6th at 60 and the motor pulls it easy.

Last edited by oct1949; 05-24-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 AM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the heat issue use an after market fuel product...I use the thunder-max closed loop tuner..but the PC and the SERT work well.

for the rattle get the ISO drive. I had it put on and all the noises went away.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:19 AM
REED
Intermediate
Default trans noise

I have an 06 Superglide and had the dealer do the 95 kit stage 1 and slip ons and never did notice any strange noise comming from the trans, built the engine to a 131 with lots of power and rode it hard all last summer, I did run 75-90 synthetic truck lube in the trans and 15-49 Delvac in the Primary and everythsing worked super. This last winter I did several other mods 1 of wich was to install the BAKER DD7 trans and is it ever nice. Smoother shifting better spacing of the gears eg lower first and the rest spaced properly with top gear the same as the cruise drive. I figure the way it makes my 131 pull in 1st that if installed in one of the newer bikes it would feel like you had had major engine work done. Price seems a little steep at around 3K but I dont think you will get a better upgrade for the same price

Old 05-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Go-Go Caddy
Intermediate

I have a 2007 Street Glide and there is no problem with my tranny. Good luck and do not let the dealership tell you everything is fine...stand your ground!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow...does anyone have a list of all the things 07 owners need to buy so they can get the reliability and ride they thought they were getting when they shelled out the cash.

I have had my 07 ultra classic for 3 weeks now....there's a laundry list of things to be bought for the heat problem ( new pipes, remapping, power commander chip, stage 1 intake ), and now I find out about this trans wine chatter and there's an IDS thing that needs to be bought.

who has the master list of things to buy? reason I ask, after 3 weeks, I wanted to trade my 07 back in for a newer model and was going to loose $3500, but it looks like I'm going to loose a few grand if I keep the thing.

at least if I buy a new bike, I'll be under warranty....add ing a warranty to my new bike will add to the costs list and make the $3500 lost as a trade in shrink even more.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM
dropone
Supporter

dddddd

Old 09-18-2010, 06:00 PM
oneinthewind
Intermediate

Anyone know why a 1991 FXSTC tranny won't shift into 5th?
Bent gear shifter fork??

Quick Reply: 2007 Tranny problem!